This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Queries about dual boot?

Chris2030

Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:43:10 am

Have the following concerns about dual boot of Zorin/Ubuntu with W7?

1. Should W7 be installed, updated and back up image created just in case, if machines messes up, grub issues etc, at least would have W7 and all my personal data, research?

2. How should the 320 GB HD be partitioned for both?

3. Which OS should be installed 1st?

4. Is it better to install 1 OS on 1 machine, since both are W7 Pro and Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 32 bit compatible?

5. The only reason am not installing Zorin or whats keeping me away from dual boot is that don't want to be the forums 24/7 for assistance. Plus both my machines have no option for a usb boot.

Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:04:59 pm

Hi, check out my dual-boot video I told you about earlier, you will need to download the Easy BCD Package from Softpedia. Doing it this way means that your Windows mbr will never get touched by GRUB - that gets installed to the partition marked '/' (root) - that is how I have it set up on my Rig. As for space that depends on what you are using it for - whether it be Windows or Zorin - if just compiling documents you could get away with 80 Gb for 7 but this is how I would do it (as per my video).

1. Have Windows take up the whole drive.

2. Go to My computer, right-click and select 'Manage'#

3. Go to 'disk management' to see the layout of your drives - right click your 'C' drive and select 'Properties' then go to the 'Tools' tab and schedule Windows to run 'Chkdsk' - check for errors and also fix problems should both be checked. It cannot run while windows is running but will run on next boot. Close all Windows, reboot and let 'chkdsk' do its thing.

4. After chkdsk has finished and rebooted to Windows, you then need to run the Defragment tool using the procedure stated at 3 above - click on 'Defragment' option and let Windows 7 analyse your disk - even if it is less than 10% I would still do it.

5. Now go to search bar in Windows 7 and enter 'repair disk' - this should bring back the link to create a 'Boot repair disk' for windows. Always useful to have should things go wrong!

6. If you want to backup your entire drive, use the free disk utility redo:

http://redobackup.org/

7. Next select 'C' drive and right-click and select 'shrink volume' - let it do its thing - whatever free space is left is what you will use for Zorin:

a. Primary Partition - 30 Gb formatted to 'ext4' and marked '/'

b. Extended Partition - at END create 'swap area' - no file system to choose as it does this automatically, - make this the same size as you have RAM. (Memory)

c. At BEGINNING of extended partition, format it all to 'ext4' and mark as '/home'

Next choose where you want GRUB to be installed - this is at the bottom of the GParted tool which will appear AFTER you choose the 'other' installation method - be sure to make a note of the partition number that you put '/' on for EasyBCD entry in Windows. This should be at the start of the Primary Partition marked '/' - select the root bit of the partition above '/' - watch the video!!!

8. Reboot and you will see that Windows gets booted. Next install Easy BCD from Softpedia - will post later, and install it - the neat thing about Easy BCD is it automatically backs up your existing mbr before you do anything to it! ;) :D

Am at end of lunch break now so bear with! (and watch my vid!) :D

Chris2030

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:22:55 pm

Thanks Swarf for the in depth reply.

One more question.

1. Zorin Ultimate on Sony since ran it couple of years back with no issues, although has a weaker specs than Dell....T2400 CPU, on board graphics, 2 GB RAM, and W7 only or W7 with Zorin 32 bit not 64 on Dell having T7200 @2.00 GHZ CPU, 4 GB RAM, 512 7905 GTX Nvidia.....Sony despite weaker is more compatible with Zorin since is tried and tested and that too Ultimate one?

2. Or Zorin on sony and W7 on Dell......confused.....seems like an ordeal lol?

Your thoughts?

Have a good lunch.

Thanks.

Chris2030

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:40:06 pm

And Swarf you computer is state of the art high end machine .......you can have W7 and 10 flavors of Linux. ;)

Chris2030

Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:43:20 pm

Id probably install Ubuntu 32 bit or Zorn Ultimate if devs send me the email link, on the tried but weaker Sony T2400 and W7 on Dell XPS1710? :cry:

Wolfman

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:10:17 pm

Just download the free version and build on it, it isn't that hard!. :D

Chris2030

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:16:10 pm

Free ver of Zorin ......Wolfman?

Thanks.

Wolfman

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:27:21 pm