This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Open JDK java Runtime not included?

ArcaneLeviathan

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:02:20 pm

My friend and I recently built identical computers and both installed Zorin OS 9 from the same USB stick. However, he cannot run jar files by double clicking. So I did what any normal person would do and "Open With" to change the default application. I did that on mine but he cannot do that on his because java is nowhere to be found. We (I) spent 4 hours trying to fix it. Here's what we tried:

-change the "No Display" in gedit to false, didnt work*
-run jar files from the terminal using java -jar [filename], worked for only some files
-reinstall openJDK from the Software Center, didnt work
-install a new version of java (7u79. Yes we had the Linux 64-bit .tar.gz file as was needed) using 3+ different series of commands in the terminal, but to no avail
-find different ways to set java as default, both through the terminal and config files, but that failed also*

I dont understand how mine worked perfectly just by changing the default with "open with" but his doesnt work. same computer, same OS, same EVERYTHING.

*I noticed if i went to /usr/share/applications/ there was to openjdk runtime, only policy tool. This made me unable to set java as default or correctly use gedit because java runtime couldnt be found.
This may be the problem. But I assumed a fresh install from the Software Center wouldve worked. Maybe I need a fresh install of Zorin.

What do you guys think?
Thanks for reading.

By the way, it's Java 7.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 26, 2015 4:38:08 am

ArcaneLeviathan

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:03:03 pm

Thanks for your reply. However, for my uses I need Java 7. Could the actions taken in the thread you gave me also apply to Java 7?

The more I try, the more I think reinstalling Zorin is a good option.

Wolfman

Sun Apr 26, 2015 8:24:00 pm

Don't remove version 7 and you will have a choice between the two!. :D

Wolfman

Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:34:48 am

I forgot to mention, you can configure multiple Java versions with the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command:

Code:
sudo update-alternatives --config java

Wolfman

Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:11:25 am