This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[MOVED] How to use Accessibility

tlgalenson

Tue Apr 28, 2015 3:49:44 pm

Hi, I have a friend who needs to use the Accessibility Screen Magnifier. I can't find it. We are running Zorin OS v9 Lite, 32 bit I think.

Thanks,
Tom

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 28, 2015 7:35:12 pm

Hi, Please don't be upset - the How-to section of the forum is for guides written by Forum Members, not help topics! ;)

I will need to boot up my other drive with Deepin on it - I have Lite as a Virtual Machine on that - bear with!

Swarfendor437

Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:59:33 pm

Sadly, this is where Zorin Lite falls down by not having a Universal Access package available out-of-the-box.

1. Go to Software Centre (Menu | System Tools | Software Center) and choose Universal Access:

06.jpg

2. Scroll down to KMag:

19.jpg

If your friend was able to run Core, he could use the magnification tool in Compiz:

https://vimeo.com/57264420

Keep us posted!

Swarfendor437

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:41:24 am

Hi Wolfman, On my version of Zorin Lite 9 I did not get the same menu as you with search functionality - have you customised that? ;) i.e., is that based on assumption people have followed your excellent post-install guide? :D

Wolfman

Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:08:00 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfman, On my version of Zorin Lite 9 I did not get the same menu as you with search functionality - have you customised that? ;) i.e., is that based on assumption people have followed your excellent post-install guide? :D

Sorry Swarf,

I didn't read the OP's first post correctly (as per usual!) and I have deleted my other post.

Download and install the package "kmag" with the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t):

Code:
sudo apt get install kmag

Then you will find a new menu entry in the main menu:

Menu_013.jpg
Menu_013.jpg (50.11 KiB)

Right click the menu icon to add to desktop!.

Now if you want it to start with the system, open "Default applications for LXsession" and add (paste) this command to Autostart: "kmag -caption %c %i" and it will always autostart!:

Code:
kmag -caption %c %i

LXSession configuration_014.jpg

There is also "Orca" (Screen Reader)?:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-orca

Autostart code: "orca --replace"

Code:
orca --replace

Hope it helps!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Swarfendor437

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:58:47 am

Just to add, if your friend's eye condition is likely to deteriorate, they would do well to play with Orca screenreader so they know what is where - sadly Gnome 3's decision to integrate Orca into the DE means less functionality for someone whose vision is impaired! :x

https://vimeo.com/95682732