This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Docky problems

jeffneedle

Mon May 04, 2015 8:10:51 am

Hi. Just installed the latest Zorin lite. Works like a charm. Thanks. I am a previous user of Zorin, and I've returned for the speed and reliability.

I've added Docky to my desktop. I want to add the weather app. On the internet, I found the instruction to right click on the Docky icon on the left, and I would get a "Settings" prompt where I could add items to the dock. But all I get is Preferences, and there's no way to add the weather applet from there.

Any thoughts on this?

Wolfman

Tue May 05, 2015 2:29:59 am

Hi Jeff,

there isn't a weather applet for the LXDE version of Docky that I am aware of, where did you find the instructions?, you can check this list out but I cannot find one!:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/30334/wh ... es#tab-top

You can use the "Clearweather" screenlet if you like:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Its in the "Desktop Screenlets:" section of the above guide and you will end up with something like this:

ClearWeatherScreenlet.py_005.jpg
ClearWeatherScreenlet.py_005.jpg (42.6 KiB)

Normal Docky window:

Docklets_screenshot.png

LXDE (Zorin Lite) version:

Preferences_015.jpg

jeffneedle

Tue May 05, 2015 7:13:18 am

Many thanks!

Wolfman

Wed May 06, 2015 3:00:47 pm

Hi Jeff,

I did some detective work and found out that Zorin Lite uses "Plank" as opposed to "Docky", run the following terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) command below to remove Plank and install Docky!:

Code:
sudo apt-get remove plank && sudo apt-get install docky

Sorry about the confusion but I rarely use Lite and only have it installed to advise people and sometimes I get it wrong!. :D

EDIT: I TRIED THE ABOVE MYSELF AND IT STILL DOESN'T GIVE YOU A BETTER DOCKY THAN THE ONE INSTALLED, SO STICK WITH PLANK OR INSTALL DOCKY, IT IS UP TO YOU!. :D