This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Recomendations for Laptop to use for Zorin

locogrande247

Mon May 04, 2015 7:23:30 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for a used laptop on ebay to get so i can install Zorin, I'm currently using ubuntu 12.04 lts and linux mint on both my laptops. but they are getting worn out will need to replace them soon.

I wanted to buy a new laptop but was told there was no way to delete windows in place of linux, regardless if it's ubuntu, zorin, mint, etc. Pluse I sometimes use tor also.

There's just soo many and not really sure which one would be prefered over another, what type of processor I should look for and so forth.

I would appreciate your imput, which ones to look for and which ones to stay away from. Thanks.

Wolfman

Tue May 05, 2015 2:45:32 am

Hi,

basically buy a laptop that meets the minimum system requirements (at least) of the operating system you intend to install!, 4GB RAM, dual core CPU and a 1GB graphics card would be nice!. Be careful if the PC has an SSD hard drive as they tend to be quite small and 100GB drives and even smaller are not unusual!.

It is a myth that you cannot remove Windows/Mac from a PC, all you need to do is disable UEFI/Secure Boot (assuming it has it installed) and you can wipe the entire drive (if you really want to!) and install Linux on any PC!:

http://www.howtogeek.com/175649/what-yo ... -the-bios/

For Dell PC's:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/ ... N142679/EN

Ubuntu in general:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

What is UEFI?:

http://www.farstone.com/articles/what-is-uefi.php

On any older PC, you just need to change the boot order in "BIOS" so the PC boots from either a CD/DVD or USB stick:

http://www.howtogeek.com/129815/beginne ... ters-bios/

Basically; you can buy any PC/Laptop that takes your fancy, just make sure it runs okay before you buy it, if you are already using Ubuntu 12.04 on your current PC, it will most likely run Ubuntu 14.04 on the same PC!.

For partitioning info:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

Feel free to post back again with any further questions!. :D

Henriolavi

Tue May 05, 2015 5:42:37 am

Hi

Look also this how-to:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=8335

Sometimes there may came need to make some configurations to get all working. This in case of my new Lenovo G50-30 laptop. But after that it runs Zorin 9 very nicely without any issues.

Swarfendor437

Tue May 05, 2015 11:56:47 am

locogrande247 wrote:Hi,

I'm looking for a used laptop on ebay to get so i can install Zorin, I'm currently using ubuntu 12.04 lts and linux mint on both my laptops. but they are getting worn out will need to replace them soon.

I wanted to buy a new laptop but was told there was no way to delete windows in place of linux, regardless if it's ubuntu, zorin, mint, etc. Pluse I sometimes use tor also.

There's just soo many and not really sure which one would be prefered over another, what type of processor I should look for and so forth.

I would appreciate your imput, which ones to look for and which ones to stay away from. Thanks.

Be advised that you should upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04 - see my posting about glibc security issues here:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9121&hilit=+glibc#p45521

Pierre

Tue May 05, 2015 12:50:05 pm

have had great success with several Lenovo laptos.
all working with LinuxO/Ss - inc Zorin O/S.

if you do get a new laptop, or even one with win_8, then consider removing the HDD that comes with it,
and replacing it with another, new HDD, and installing any O/S of your choice onto that HDD.
- keep the original, in a drawer, for warranty purposes.

you can, definitely, delete windows & replace with Linux :) however.
- regardless.

locogrande247

Tue May 05, 2015 2:29:45 pm

As much as I love nothing better than to start with a brand new laptop from the store, I think trying to replace windows 8 maybe a bit over my head.

So far, I'm eyeing a few dells on ebay that seem they would work.

locogrande247

Tue May 05, 2015 3:17:30 pm

Actually, last year I bought a new windows 8 laptop and tried installing Mint in that. Even after doing research online, I was never able to get that laptop to install Mint, no matter what I did.

I figured I could look on ebay for a used laptop around 200 and go with that. I'm not a heavy user, just websurfing and email, so I don't need something powerful, just fast and bug free. I'm not a windows fan, and I can't stand windows 8, besides all the security issues I've heard about it.

Wolfman

Tue May 05, 2015 3:51:48 pm

Hi,

is this solved for you now?. :D

locogrande247

Tue May 05, 2015 11:58:45 pm

Well I found quite a few laptops on ebay with 4gb of ram, but the question I have now is what type of processor should I be looking for.

I'm eyeing a couple of dells, 1 without an operating system, had windows 7 and the seller says Zorin will work just fine, but I still want to be sure.

The other question is do I really need a large hard drive? For me, it's just storing the operating system. After having 2 computers crash and burn on me, I store nothing on them now, I keep everything on an external hard drive.

locogrande247

Wed May 06, 2015 12:08:19 am

The dell I saw has the following:
Intel Core Duo CPU 2.67 Ghz P8800,
60 GB Hard Drive ,
2 GB Ram memory, not 4 gb.

I don't suppose this one will work? I have the same one now, that the screen is broken, and the guy is selling it for 100 bucks only because it has no o/s in it and may need a new battery, and I have a good one.

Wolfman

Wed May 06, 2015 4:25:38 am

locogrande247 wrote:The dell I saw has the following:
Intel Core Duo CPU 2.67 Ghz P8800,
60 GB Hard Drive ,
2 GB Ram memory, not 4 gb.

I don't suppose this one will work? I have the same one now, that the screen is broken, and the guy is selling it for 100 bucks only because it has no o/s in it and may need a new battery, and I have a good one.

Hi,

it sounds like a good deal, in Europe you can buy a brand new "Bare Bones" (no OS installed) PC for the same amount of money, the specs are okay on the one you mention if as you say; you only intend to use it for E-Mailing and general web surfing!. :D

Look at the Dell link I posted earlier as to how to set-up the BIOS in a Dell PC and also read the partition guide link I posted on how to set-up the partitions!. :D

Anonymous

Fri May 08, 2015 6:10:31 pm

What ever you buy....make sure it has at least DDR2 Memory or newer.
If you buy anything older...don't expect much to be friendly in the updated kernels.
You will regret it trying to save a couple of $$$$ buying something older than DDR2 !!!!
This is a fact....not hearsay !!!! :D :D