This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Left mouse button stopped working after installing Zorin os

lionel1020

Fri May 08, 2015 8:24:38 am

This is my first experience with any Linux OS...please keep things simple.....

I have installed Zorin Core os9 on a Fujitsu Siemens Amilo Si 1520-7020 laptop.

I was obliged to use the tab/direction keys/enter during the install process, I thought this was normal..but maybe not?
The installation was easy to understand and seemed to work....however (probably because of me selecting the wrong thing) the Windows Vista installation has disappeared.
The first time the desktop opened all was well (very similar to win7) ...I left clicked on the menu icon in the bottom left hand corner and the menu opened.....the next time I used the left button on the mouse it stopped working!

Also the left button on the laptop touchpad stopped working.
Cursor movement and right button still work!

Tried rebooting/ changing usb port...now stuck....my daughter is crying, my wife is threatening divorce and the dog is eating the sofa leg....please help!

Wolfman

Fri May 08, 2015 9:52:07 am

Hi,

start your PC in recovery mode and run "DPKG" (network cable required) per the update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del, do not click on "Resume"!. :D

lionel1020

Fri May 08, 2015 10:48:06 am

Thanks for the quick reply...I will get back with the result soon

Swarfendor437

Fri May 08, 2015 12:03:21 pm

Hi, see this (last post at bottom):

http://si1520.blogspot.co.uk/

I would give Zorin 9 Lite a try based on Lubuntu 14.04. Fujitsu and Toshiba can be problematical when it comes to GNU/Linux.

If you manage to get any Live version of GNU/Linux, be sure to back up any data that you have on your Vista partition!

;)

lionel1020

Fri May 08, 2015 12:31:31 pm

Well....for some reason I found that very stressful.....between not knowing that the network cable was the right network cable and the illustrations in the instructions/images not being the same as that which appeared on my screen I was guessing most of the time. Add to this my interface is in French...quite an adventure!

It would seem that was some sort of update program....the display went by very quickly...however it seemed to update/replace in excess of 500 or so files...took around 15 minutes. In the end it offered me the choice of replacing a “grub” ????. I took the option of the new one figuring the “old” one didn't work anyway.....off it went again for another ten minutes!

At the termination screen I was informed that the installation was a resounding success and I pressed ctr/alt/del to restart.

I arrived at the opening “desktop” with no problem.....However when I left “clicked' on the menu the left button on the mouse did not work.....nor did the left button on the touchpad....Cursor movement and right button still work!

This did however confirm my belief that one should not believe everything the computer tells you...especially when it is reporting successful installations.....

lionel1020

Fri May 08, 2015 1:07:15 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, see this (last post at bottom):

http://si1520.blogspot.co.uk/

I would give Zorin 9 Lite a try based on Lubuntu 14.04. Fujitsu and Toshiba can be problematical when it comes to GNU/Linux.

If you manage to get any Live version of GNU/Linux, be sure to back up any data that you have on your Vista partition!

;)

Hi Swarfendor437 I understand your observations and acknowledge that I might be obliged at some point to go in this direction.
The reason behind this is I am trying to reconfigure this old computer for use by my daughter (12 years old) while she is on holiday at her grandparents for about three months. The desktop computer she has in her bedroom runs windows 7 with which she is very familiar.
So the aim at this time is to have a system as near as possible to windows 7 ...not just any Linux.

lionel1020

Fri May 08, 2015 3:05:14 pm

Strange Progress...But what should I do now?

I have just used a copy of Linux OpenSuse 11.3 which I had laying around.

After placing the CD in I loaded it where it would run from the CD...no installation..... Every thing including the mouse worked!!!

So I went back to the copy of Zorin os9 that I had burned....after loading it I ran this one from the CD...no installation....Everything again worked including the mouse!!!

This is all on the same laptop...

If I go back to the desktop of the os running from the CD and click the install Icon will it overwrite the copy I previously installed...or will I end up with two copies?

Or is the very act of installing creating the problem with the mouse???

Wolfman

Sat May 09, 2015 5:13:46 am

Hi,

did you burn the disks at the slowest possible speed?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

Wolfman

Mon May 11, 2015 9:22:42 am

Also:

Look here: https://justinstories.wordpress.com/201 ... in-ubuntu/

and install this package via the terminal or Synaptic:

Code:
gpointer-device-settings