This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

repos

yonnie

Mon May 11, 2015 6:53:38 pm

Are the repos offline? Can't seem to run updates. Have the repos moved?

Swarfendor437

Tue May 12, 2015 11:33:29 am

Not as far as I can tell - might depend on a number of things - are you having difficulties connecting to your router/network, your ISP connection or your provider having WLAN issues? Have you tried changing to a repository in the country where you live? Go to System Tools, Administration, Software Updater and change 'Settings' to a server in your country. If still no joy, revert to 'Main Server'.

Keep us posted!

yonnie

Tue May 12, 2015 8:38:24 pm

I was able to write the post from that computer. The package manager would report that there was no internet after many failed repos were reported. Error 404 not found. Right now I'm trying to figure out how to copy all the user data to another drive and perform a re-install with a zorin 9.1 live usb. The OS on computer was/is 8.1

yonnie

Wed May 13, 2015 12:23:27 am

It still reports the same. Furthermore, I'm stuck with not being able to open or save the files & settings. Live usb is user "live", files on hdd are user "1000" group "1000". When I boot as normal, properties just show a user name instead of a number. Where do I go to make the user names and numbers all the same so I can save all the settings?

Swarfendor437

Wed May 13, 2015 11:43:24 am

Hi, if you are talking about repos for 8.1 they will be dead as it is no longer supported! Other things to consider are:

1. Are you logged in as Guest or named user? Have you got autologin selected?

2. If you are expecting updates to live usb then that will not work unless you have a 'persistent' version on the USB.

3. I have not come across numbers unless it is a RPM type of distro - 1001 = Administrator/Root. 1000 will just be user - but never got to that point in any release in Zorin! So don't know how you are getting that! :shock:

As for your data on 8.1 I would go for the simplest option - attach external hard drive, go to your '/home' folder, press 'Ctrl+ H' to show hidden files and copy the lot to a 'Backup of Zorin 8.1' folder.

As for user changes/additions etc: Menu | System Tools | System Settings - look for the User icon! :D

yonnie

Wed May 13, 2015 8:57:58 pm

Why is it so difficult to get the file manager to work? I can't create a new folder with my main network backup drive because user permissions aren't the same. I can't get the file manager to see the insertion of a new usb drive either that was formatted by this same computer using gparted with same user. This Zorin is a genuine PITA! I want to scream and throw this computer out the window! All I need is for this system to be trouble-free and work, so far it's been every several months a day down for some mis-behaving update. This time it's been over a week down. It's seems to be usually a problem of the type "you can't get there from here"! If I didn't hate winblows so much, I'd switch back.

I'm tired of being thwarted by this file-manager from everything needing to be done. What command line (CLI) command can I use with 8.1 to copy everything (including hidden) to a inserted USB stick? and then restore the LibreOffice settings, printer settings, user files, email, addresses etc...

yonnie

Wed May 13, 2015 11:00:47 pm

OK,
I finally got the files copied. After running the new OS install, I find the sda1 partition, /boot, is only 243MiB? Really? Isn't this installation already broken? How many updates is it going to take before it quits running?

yonnie

Thu May 14, 2015 3:22:40 am

fyi-- now that I have the latest 64bit Zorin installed I'm having the following issues:
1 the mouse pointer keeps disappearing.
2, clicking on settings will not bring-up settings menu
3, can't copy the files from the usb stick by using select all, copy, paste. Copy function doesn't seem to exist. Files on stick are same user as on the OS, but permissions are not the same. Cannot seem to alter permissions.
4, usb insertion is not detected by OS. Have to shutdown and boot to get usb to appear in file manager. Even though gparted can find it.
5, shutdown doesn't turn off system.
6, installed OS twice, same results. Changed mouse, finally able to get settings to appear after clicking.

I'm sure there is more to report

Swarfendor437

Thu May 14, 2015 11:48:12 am

OK, my mistake (your fault! :lol: ) - can we rewind please? Thanks! :D

Please see here:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5449

Wolfman

Thu May 14, 2015 5:30:19 pm

Hi yonnie,

did you check out this thread?:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

yonnie

Fri May 15, 2015 8:21:57 pm

wolfman,
I wish you had posted earlier. The paper that had the system data on it has been misplaced. Ubuntu-based OS's don't seem to cough up this data easily anymore, or they have made this stuff difficult to find. The machine is an ITX mb stuffed into a shoebox style case. The replacement machine is going to be a Zotac, which is much smaller. Roughly the size of a 5" old-style hard-drive for a XT computer.
I found the repos for 8.1 to be not available and not a machine issue as the error msg was claiming.
the mouse issue was a new hardware issue, apparently something had gone wrong with the USB ports on the machine. Suspect too much current sucked by charging USB gadgets may have damaged the machine. It no longer detects usb insertion and loses the mouse.

Thinking the above issues were related to Zorin, I installed a different distro called Ubuntu. It really sucks. The dash button is a complete joke. But until I get a replacement machine, I'm not bothering with another re-install.

Swarfendor437

Fri May 15, 2015 9:08:31 pm

Hi, without the aid of a mouse:

1. Open a Termnal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T)

2. Then enter:

Code:
lspci

then copy and paste the output back here - that would give most of the information about the machine! ;) :D

yonnie

Sun May 17, 2015 4:56:36 am

$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset DRAM Controller (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:03.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset HECI Controller (rev 03)
00:03.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset PT IDER Controller (rev 03)
00:03.3 Serial controller: Intel Corporation 4 Series Chipset Serial KT Controller (rev 03)
00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 02)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1a.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 02)
00:1a.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 02)
00:1a.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev a2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801JDO (ICH10DO) LPC Interface Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) 4-port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
00:1f.5 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801JD/DO (ICH10 Family) 2-port SATA IDE Controller (rev 02)

Great idea! The font used had me confused between lspc1 and lspci. (Wish I could remember all these commands, get so used to point and click). When the Zotac gets here the HDD from here is going to get put into it and this computer will go to the spare parts bin or recycle. I didn't get to fully test the new Zorin, but instead of taking all day of downloading printer drivers for the network printer like the 8.1 did, the ubuntu 14.04 found the printer before I finished installing the OS (well, it was already there when I went to install it). Does the new Zorin do that too?

Swarfendor437

Sun May 17, 2015 7:15:05 am

Hi, To be honest I have never had a Zorin find a printer 'automatically' during install. If ever you are installing a printer, network or otherwise, I find the best method is not to use the GUI straight from System Settings but via the console (Teminal) with:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer
;) :D

yonnie

Sun May 17, 2015 11:26:33 pm

good tip, I'll have to try to remember it. thanks

Swarfendor437

Mon May 18, 2015 12:05:25 pm

Another tip - this is what I had to do in GNU/Linux before there was a dedicated printer driver for our Canon i865. Look at the print cartridge box (inkjet) and see what other models the cartridge caters for - then use the latest model prior to the one you have and install that driver! ;)

Wolfman

Thu May 21, 2015 5:13:03 am

Is this solved now?. :D