This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrade Core to Ultimate

Boomow

Tue May 12, 2015 3:48:15 pm

Hi Guys!!

Loving Zorin , Great work!!!

I have read the tutorials however it has taken me a long time to get Zorin running just how I like it

Is there any other way for me to upgrade to Ultimate without losing everything?

Thanks

Andy

Swarfendor437

Tue May 12, 2015 8:15:23 pm

Wolfman has written an extensive guide on how to do this, but essentially it will depend on whether you have created 3 separate partitions when you installed Core - '/' (System or Root partition where the OS resides), '/home' (where all your personal stuff and Windows Apps reside) and a 'swap area'. If you allowed Zorin to do everything for you I would attach an external had drive (if you have one), open '/home', press 'Ctrl+ H' to show all hidden files, then copy and paste into a new folder (e.g., 'Zorin Core backup') on your external hard drive.

Hope this helps! :D

Boomow

Tue May 12, 2015 9:12:40 pm

Thanks for your reply

I have Just reinstalled with Ultimate , I wish I had waited now until I got your reply!! , Can't seem to install my Epson xp-205 after adding the printer it finds the driver but freezes during install , I've restarted several times but with the same result ... sigh....! , After installing ultimate I let it do about 2GB of updates but received quite a lot of errors during the updates I fear it may of damaged the install

Swarfendor437

Wed May 13, 2015 11:38:53 am

Hi, you won't have a damaged install, you will just be working from the base release - you are just getting updates since April last! (2014) when 9 was first released. As for the printer, try this method:

1. Open a Terminal window (Ctrl+ Alt+ T)

2. Enter the following command:

Code:
sudo system-config-printer

and take it from there.

Keep us posted! :D

Boomow

Wed May 13, 2015 6:17:54 pm

Thanks again!!

Bit strange but it just went through by itself after trying 4-5 times haha
Printer working fine I think it was just being a bit awkward kind of like my wife!!
I ticked the box to download trusted prerelease updates and it downloaded a bunch with no errors this time and does seem a little more stable , loving it so far and I'm enjoying getting to grips with the Linux OS as I've only ever used windows since the 90s and know it inside out so I'm bored of it now let's just hope I'm not too old to learn something new.

Swarfendor437

Thu May 14, 2015 11:40:33 am

Glad to be of help - can this be marked as [SOLVED] now? :D

Wolfman

Thu May 14, 2015 5:23:13 pm

For future reference:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

joey

Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:11:13 pm

Swarf: I followed what you said about the three partitions and backing up /home. What I don't get is, what motions do you need to perform to do the actual Core > Ultimate upgrade? You did mention that a "Wolfman" wrote an extensive guide on doing this. A link to that guide would be helpful, or just the basic gist of what motions do you need to perform to do the actual Core > Ultimate upgrade would be greatly appreciated.