This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

DVD drive not recognized

snydley100

Sun May 17, 2015 10:21:04 pm

All of a sudden, for no apparent reason, Zorin 9, installed on sda, will not recognize my girlfriends DVD RW drive on her laptop, a Lenovo Y710. With Zorin booted up, when I insert a DVD, DVDRW, Audio CD, ANYTHING, the dvd drive lights up, the hard drive indicator also flashes but after a minute the lights go out and I don't see it on the desktop, or in the left column in Nautilus.
I've searched for answers here, and other places on the Internet, but after doing everything I know how to do I wrote this new post. What has really got me baffled is that I originally installed Zorin from this DVD drive, and, I can still boot from the Zorin LIVE DVD and it functions properly. Can anyone help? Thanks

Swarfendor437

Mon May 18, 2015 12:01:01 pm

Hi, have you followed Wolfman's excellent post-install guide here?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

Wolfman

Tue May 19, 2015 10:39:15 am

Hi,

under the laptop is a latch to release the drive, remove the drive and boot the laptop once, shut down and replace the drive then reboot!. :D

snydley100

Tue May 19, 2015 3:30:46 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

under the laptop is a latch to release the drive, remove the drive and boot the laptop once, shut down and replace the drive then reboot!. :D

Thanks, I'll try that and let you know what happens.
Snyde

snydley100

Wed May 20, 2015 1:31:53 am

snydley100 wrote:

Snyde

Unfortunately that made no difference, still no DVD drive shown. It's really strange because I can boot from the DVD drive with a Windows 7 or Vista DVD or a Zorin 9 DVD and install the OSs from the drive, but the drive won't show up in Device Manager or Nautilus. If I didn't mention it before, it also doesn't show up in Windows 7.

Swarfendor437

Wed May 20, 2015 11:48:37 am

Let's start with Windows 7 first;

Please read this thread FROM BEGINNING TO END! and then decide which 'solution' you wish to try:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 2f08ecd273

Wolfman

Thu May 21, 2015 5:07:44 am

snydley100 wrote:
snydley100 wrote:

Snyde

Unfortunately that made no difference, still no DVD drive shown. It's really strange because I can boot from the DVD drive with a Windows 7 or Vista DVD or a Zorin 9 DVD and install the OSs from the drive, but the drive won't show up in Device Manager or Nautilus. If I didn't mention it before, it also doesn't show up in Windows 7.

Hi,

you can also try the same thing again except this time, run your updates and then replace the drive as there are newer kernels on offer!.

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247