This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Software Updates

Andrew

Tue May 19, 2015 12:10:10 am

Good Evening everyone,

Was wondering, How can I get rid of or take a file update out of the line-up, so it don't appear any more....case and point, Linux Kernel Headers for development 774kb
Changes for linux-libc-dev versions:
Installed version: 3.13.0-24.46
Available version: 3.13.0-52.86

This is what screws up my system....how can I get rid of it.....thank you all in advance..

Andrew

Wolfman

Tue May 19, 2015 10:28:35 am

Hi Andrew,

you can lock any package using Synaptic to stop it upgrading!, see this section here "Stopping a package from updating (Locking):":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Andrew

Wed May 20, 2015 10:01:08 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi Andrew,

you can lock any package using Synaptic to stop it upgrading!, see this section here "Stopping a package from updating (Locking):":

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Hey Wolfman,

I tried what you suggested and it messed up my system to where I've had to reinstall......all of the new Linux Kernel & Image file updates, including the Firmware (which pulls in those Kernel and image files regardless of whether you uncheck them). Can someone please get in touch with the or a developer and inform them of this (not that they would actually care)....this is really starting to perturb me greatly....I'd really hate to go to another distro, as this was really good up until they pushed these new kernel and image file updates....I haven't even done any of those on my other machine.....I'm tired of messing with this, just want to install and use....Ubuntu is even worse since their new iso is now 14.04.2 LTS and it's messed up right out of the box...thanx guys

Wolfman

Thu May 21, 2015 4:58:34 am

Hi Andrew,

sorry to hear of your woes, if you ever have a problem with a kernel update, reboot into the 2nd option in the Zorin menu and choose "Previous kernels", you don't have to do a full install to solve the problem.

What problem did you have after locking the packages? (you do know that kernels have more than one package that make them up don't you?). :D

Swarfendor437

Thu May 21, 2015 11:59:49 am

Hi Andrew, Apologies to Wolfman in advance - at end of lunchbreak!

Does this help?

http://www.upubuntu.com/2012/09/how-to- ... after.html