This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to recategorize applications in zorin menu

David4321

Sun May 24, 2015 7:15:21 am

I find the applications are sometimes by default categorized in counter-intuitive ways in the Zorin menu. ie: certain administrative tools are in system tools, others are in accessories - or some apps I consider office tools are filed under office, others under accessories, still others simply under other.

This leads to quite a bit of fumbling. Further, not all applications appear in these menus at all. Yes, I know there are other ways to open applications, like terminal, typing name in search, docks, and shortcut links. But I'm only a year migrated out from Windows, and I really like the "start menu" concept, and I'm used to it. In Windows I could easily rearrange which application launcher shortcuts were in which folders, or just make up my own categories to group them - and I was assured that if I had installed it, there was a shortcut to be found there. I can easily forget I installed something if I don't use it often, and I can't always remember their names. Having a sensible file cabinet of icons to browse really works well for me.

If there any straightforward way to replicate this functionality here in Zorin?

Thanks!

Wolfman

Sun May 24, 2015 7:59:36 am

Hi,

read through this section of the post install guide "More info about the AWN (Avant Window Navigator)" and it describes how to edit the menu entries:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

Henriolavi

Sun May 24, 2015 5:27:45 pm

Note following, "Alacarte" does not work with editing "Zorin Menu"!

Zorin Menu Editor opens by right-clicking on Zorin Menu in the AWN panel in Zorin 9 after update which installed it to edit the menu of Zorin Menu (only). Alacarte makes changes to non-Zorin Menu menus and can be tested while using gnome-panel in the GNOME 2 look in the Look Changer.

Both Alacarte and the Zorin Menu Editor looks nearly identical and appears in the menu editor with the same name "Main Menu". In order to tell them apart the only visual difference between the two is that Alacarte has a "Help" button in the bottom left corner of the window and the Zorin Menu Editor does not.

To get clarity to which one you have as "Main Menu" in the menu, that can be checked opening the menu editor and there the properties of "Main Menu(s)". There is the command line which points either to "zorin-menu-editor" or to "alacarte".

Swarfendor437

Sun May 24, 2015 10:42:38 pm

I tend to use GnoMenu in preference over Zorin Menu so don't have this issue! :D