This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

non pae distro?

muskieslime

Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:20:24 pm

I'm trying to install zorin on my thinkpad and its telling me I have a non pae processor. Is there a build of zorin or ubuntu that is for non pae?

Swarfendor437

Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:10:08 pm

Hi, I missed this a while back but perhaps you could try something similar (if you don't have a pae supporting machine it will be difficult!):

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2298&start=10#p9623

I don't advise dropping back to Zorin 6 due to the GHOST issue:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9267

muskieslime

Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:21:04 am

Yikes! I.ve got 2.15 so I am vulnerable to ghost. In my pc I'm running zorin 6.4 . Will the update to 14.04 I've been being nagged about fix the ghost issue? Also will that give me Zorin 9 or should I just install 9. I still have XP on the laptop I was asking the pae question about. I was just going thru the pre install check with live cd and found the non pae thing. Just hoping to cut the last thread to M$ by getting linux on these old laptops I use for business . I make hand made musky lures and run slideshows and vids of pics of lures and fish when I go to outdoor shows. I use old ones incase somebody spills their Mt Dew on one I wont be out alot. I use one as register. I've been loking around and found a couple work arounds I'm going to try for 12.04 and 14.04

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:47:22 am

Hi, You should stick with 14.04 (=Zorin 9). I recently ran 6.4 live and found that glibc was as you say 2.15.

If you want to take a look at non-pae (I don't think it is pae) is MakuluLinux "Fun Build" which is another attempt at looking like Windows but is only available in 64-bit:

See screenshots of my post here:

XP-look:

download/file.php?id=4153&mode=view

Win 7 look:

download/file.php?id=4154&mode=view

has a nice 'Conky' stile wallpaper changer (Wallpaper setting) that sits in the 'system tray'! ;)

Wolfman

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:35:21 pm

Hi,

use Zorin Lite!. :D

muskieslime

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:51:08 pm

Is lite non pae?

Wolfman

Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:41:35 am

Hi,

see this site for your answer:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PAE

I recommend Lite because of your limited resources!. :D

See also:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXvTQTRpczc

Swarfendor437

Sat Jun 06, 2015 8:27:41 am

Just to add - MakuluLinux is a "fun build" and is not fully functional - tried on works machine and it could not pick hard wire network up - unlike Zorin! ;)