This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Kwin instead of Compiz

Zorina

Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:14:52 am

[b][/b]Hii I couldn't find a thread for this in here..so I opend one myself.

I tried to install Kwin on my Zorin Ultimate..cause I like the option interface better.
In Compiz it's back and force and up and down to making preferred settings, I get dissy from that.. :roll:
In Kwin it's much easier..I like the grid function in Kwin a lot..in Compiz I can't get this done..

I can't find a way to get Kwin working on Ultimate either, even thow KDE is supported by Compiz.

Maybe somebody here did figure this out already, how to install Kwin..
OR anybody is willing to give me some tipps on how to get the flat grid multi-desktop
with switching file mode etc..it should be possible one or the other. :mrgreen:

I'm pleased for any help-- Thx in advance

Swarfendor437

Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:20:31 pm

If you want to install KDE (and do so at your OWN RISK! you have been warned!) - open a Terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install kde-full

but remove KWin first:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove kwin

then after kde installed:

Code:
sudo apt-get install kwin

Wolfman

Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:00:43 pm

Hi,

have you checked Compiz Settings Manager for KDE compatibility?:

CompizConfig Settings Manager_008.jpg

Zorina

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:56:56 pm

Thy for your fast reaction...to "Swarfendor437" it's indeed a little different from what i've tried. Did you used Kwin on Zorin Os Swarfen..?

But i'lll give it a try it want blow up my pc ..it's a new and strong PC ;) LOL

Swarendor437 maybe you can give me a tip how to get Zorin Ultimate 64 bit working.on a multibootstick, which tool is best.?
I can't get my Zorin ultimate to work on multi..the lite is working fine even on my 64 bit system ,strange enough.

This was happen when multiboot was created with WinSetUpFromUsb...a good tool. But ...
The Easy2Boot could not get the multiboot with Ultimate right too..
now 7zip shows 2 error in iso..so IIll have to download again.

My favortie tool is Rufus it can make boot sticks even for "Gpt table and Uefi and Bios compatible"
I have ..a 6 partition Gpt table on Uefi motherboard (with full Bios support) -the same harddrive runs ultimate with 4 more partitionson it.
Rufus is the King for Linux and windows.
BUT Rufus can't make multiboot USB..and Unetiboot is not good. Xboot is also no option

If there is any tool like Rufus with Multiboot option..please let me know... :?
I hope I'm not asking too much..but I want my things in order this time and this is all new to me.. :roll: rolling rolling rolling ...

Zorina

Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:57:59 pm

Yes "Wolfman" I have checked it Thx
:)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:43:19 am

My favourite is multisystem - which appears to have been taken off Softpedia.com for the full OS - start off with this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

check my tutorial vid on how to install to Zorin - it is only Linux compatible. You may have an issue with Ultimate but no issues with Core - can't remember if tried with Lite.

You will need to format to FAT32 and it will put GRUB on the mbr of the flashdrive/thumbdrive. :D

Zorina

Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55:24 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:My favourite is multisystem - which appears to have been taken off Softpedia.com for the full OS - start off with this:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8933&hilit=+MultiSystem#p43425

check my tutorial vid on how to install to Zorin - it is only Linux compatible. You may have an issue with Ultimate but no issues with Core - can't remember if tried with Lite.

You will need to format to FAT32 and it will put GRUB on the mbr of the flashdrive/thumbdrive. :D

Last night I made a stick with YUMI... this tool is Very Ugly but you can use it on windows and linux!
it makes clean multiboot very easy, with a beautiful boot menu. It's like an ugly swan first and ..LOL :lol: you know.

I did not check any box only the one to format to fat 32 ..normaly I do it myself before, clean and make it primary partition, in cmd,
But I wanted to see how Yumi works.
and I chose under unidentified "options syslinux " . which some tools declare as not multiboot able..like BootFromUSB did.
and I let it do it's job.
I had also error messages before for the "Zorin light" .althow it did boot and I could make the install.

BUT Yumi does not show any error and the bootmenu, after you choose the OS, looks gourgeous. It
shows the logo and name UBUNTU with big letters and it uses the same font for the submenu where you choose weather to try or install Zorin
This way it boots faster.. If you don't make any further choice, it will enter, a bit slower, the Zorin interface with try or install..like normal.

If you want to install more to your stick, that's possible cause Yumi does not need to format.
I now have a king "Rufu"s and a queen "Yumi" :mrgreen:

I'm tired now but tomorrow iI will watch your tutorial.. great THX Swarfen.. :P

Well I jsut looked into your link and I did make a multiboot stick on win 8.1 with yumi fast and easy..so I should make a tutorial for that..
in a week time I will have it done ..I'm very busy..but I like to show that to people..if you tell me where can post those..I'll be glad than..
SYA baba Swarfen.. 8-)

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 19, 2015 11:50:03 am

Hi, Before I converted to using MultiSystem, I used either Unetbootin or YUMI - where MultiSystem scores highly over any other thumbdrive app is that as soon as you drag an iso to be added to the drive it will immediately report if it is unsupported - I have used thumb drive apps that do all the process then right at the end state 'not supported'! :shock: :D

Also with MultiSystem you can test it out using the inbuilt emulator, Qemu - it also has portable Virtuaal Box too but not got round how to use that bit! :D