This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

AWN crash report when trying to add app launcher

caffewmilk

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:55:14 am

Hi,

I'm testing Zorin 9 - 64bit on a laptop. So far I like it very much.

I ran into a minor issue, though. When trying to add an app launcher to the taskbar, I get an internal error message:

Sorry, Zoring OS 9 has experienced an internal error.

ExecutablePath: /usr/bin/awn-settings

ProblemType: Crash

Title: awn-settings crashed with SIGSEGV in gnome_desktop_item_save()

Your input is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:46:19 am

When you say you are 'testing' do you mean only running in 'live' mode? Because if you are you have to remember that it is running in RAM and not installed to the Drive. How have you been trying to add to the panel? The best way is to launch the application first which puts a 'temporary' icon on the panel associated with the app - just right-click and select 'Pin to Panel' - which app is it you are trying to 'Pin'? :D

Just to add, if it is a Windows App you will not be able to pin a launcher there - nor would you be able to do so in any GNU/Linux distro running wine - but wait to be corrected! :D

caffewmilk

Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:27:45 pm

Hi,

I prefer to test drive Linux distros while installed onto a hard drive. I have a laptop to use for that purpose.

To create the launcher, I right-clicked the taskbar, clicked 'Preferences' then the option to create a launcher.

I typed the full path to the executable, clicked 'Save' and that's when the crash happens.

I will give your suggestion a try. I was not aware that it would work so closely to what Windows 7 offers to add launchers to the taskbar.

Thanks.

P.S. I was trying to add a launcher for Chromium.

caffewmilk

Thu Jun 18, 2015 4:05:23 pm

Nice! Just like in Windows Vista and up!

Further, Zorin boots much faster than XP or 7 ever did on this laptop. Very nice!

I'm switching to Zorin for my refurb PCs I build.

Thank you.

Wolfman

Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:54:36 am

Hi,

make sure you do a full system update before tinkering with the system and you will have fewer problems!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247