This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Install Wallpoz

mojolinux

Fri Jun 26, 2015 3:04:01 am

I would like some guidance as to how to go about installing previously downloaded Wallpoz-0.5.tar.bz2 onto my Zorin 9.0. system.
I know this is a third party software but would like to be able to change wallpaper when switching individdual desktops.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jun 26, 2015 12:26:49 pm

No guarantees here! :D

1. Extract the file you mentioned in your post to your 'Downloads' folder in '/home' using 'Archive Manager' - this should show up when you right-click the file.

2. Select all the files for archiving again but this time save as .tar.gz.

3. Install 'alien' using the terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal):

Code:
sudo apt-get install alien

Please be aware you will be asked for your login password to raise your status to 'root' (=Administrator in Windows) to install the 'alien' package - and you will not see any asterisks as you type your password or anything else so be careful - you get 3 attempts before you get demoted to a normal user.

4. If it is not installed already, install 'gdebi' - from the terminal - if you kept your terminal window open after installing 'alien' you won't need to put your password in again!:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

5. Now from the terminal, navigate to where your new tar.gz file is in the terminal window using the 'cd .. command to change directory, e.g., 'cd Downloads' then enter:

Code:
sudo alien Wallpoz-0.5.tar.gz

This should create a .deb package - don't be concerned if you see an icon with a red circle with a white cross - this indicates that you need root privileges which you will have any way after you enter the password required after you right-click the newly created .deb package and either use 'gdebi' (my preferred installer) or Software Centre/er - If there are any dependency issues not satisfied, gdebi will report this at time of install.

Keep us posted! :D

mojolinux

Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:03:08 pm

Hi and thanks for replying to my post!

First off, I want to correct my original post`s title of the Program I was inquiring about.
The actual Program I`m posting about is named *WALLPAPOZ* and NOT what I had indicated in my post *Wallpoz* My bad!!!!

Anyhow, after creating and saving the new archive wallpapoz-0.5.tar.gz extracted from the original downloaded and extracted (6) files, I followed your script as to how to install Wallpapoz onto my Linux Zorin 9.0 installation exactly!
I first installed *alien* followed by *gdebi* in terminal. I then cd`d into my Downloads directory where the new wallpapoz-0.5.tar.gz lives and then ran in terminal:

/Downloads $ sudo alien wallpapoz-0.5.tar.gz

Below is what I got back:

mkdir: cannot create directory 'wallpapoz-0.5' File exists
unable to mkdir wallpapoz-0.5: at /usr/share/perl5/alien/package.pm line 257, <
FILELIST> line 96

Unsure as to how to proceed? I need further enlightenment as to how to install and run Wallpapoz program in Zorin9.0
Thanks for any insight

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:09:29 pm

Hi, I am wondering if it created a directory that did not work but made one anyway - can you search for it and delete it? I would advise doing this in a terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove wallpapoz

then try again.

mojolinux

Sun Jun 28, 2015 9:42:23 pm

Hi, Swarfendor437

I was unable to remove "Wallpapoz" from Zorin using the terminal as you suggested, as it "could not find the package". I ended up just deleting everything associated with Wallpapoz at it`s physical location.
However, I did some googling and found out how to accomplish adding (4) different desktop wallpaper backgrounds to my Zorin 9.0 installation instead of using Wallpapoz!

It was relatively easy to do using the previously installed CompizConfig Settings Manager, along with the latest "Compiz Extras" : sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager compiz-plugins-extra
First, make sure under Compiz Settings Manager`s "Image Loading" you have JPEG, PNG and SVG check marked! Then under the Compiz Settings manager "Wallpaper" heading (once check marked) click to OPEN, and ADD under the "NEW" tab, the location of the (4) different background images from your system you desire for your desktop cube.

I didn't change anything else like Positioning, Background Fill Type, or Color etc. Also did NOT check Cycle Wallpapers, Cycle Timeout, Fade Duration etc.
Works good for me after playing around a bit adjusting timing, opacity, and such to my personal liking.
The only downside so far that I see is, you will lose any Desktop ICONS you had on your "normal" desktop, but because I already had "Cairo Dock" installed and running, I can access anything I had as a desktop icon like NETWORK or HOME etc. and more, without the need for any desktop icons!

Hope this helps someone

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:23:51 pm

Thanks for the update - will mark as [RESOLVED] rather than [SOLVED] ;)