This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

ZORIN LITE 9 on USB and software updates

STES

Sat Jun 27, 2015 8:53:25 pm

I'm a newbie to Linux.

I installed the OS on an 8 Gig UBS stick and I set aside 2 of the 8 for persistent space.

Because of prior experiences the first thing I did was run the software update and there is a ton of updating recommended, so much so it ran out space.

How large a USB drive (in gigs) do I need and how much should I set aside for persistent space?

I hope someone can help.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:59:45 pm

Hi, Someone wrote a useful guide on this one - usually just 1 Gb for persistence - this is for data only - use the rest for '/' - Persistence = '/home' - AFAIK - wait to be corrected.

STES

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:08:44 pm

Thx. Where would I be able to find that guide? What does AFAIK stand for?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:11:08 pm

AFAIK - as far as I know! ;)

A member wrote an unusual guide in the how-to section of the forum on how to create a USB with persistence. Just remember that memory sticks (USB thumb/flash drives) have a limited life so be sure to backup any crucial data from your 'persistence' on a regular basis. :D

STES

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:28:20 pm

Thx again. Eventually I would install it on the hard drive. Being insecure about creating partitions, and so forth, where would I find information on how to uninstall it if I wanted to?

What's holding me back from installing on the HD is that Zorin OSs don't have driver for the wifi card in this notebook; it is a HP Pavilion 10 TS 10-e010nr running Windows 8.1, and uses a Realtek wifi card RTL 8188EE 802.11 b/g/n adapter. Can you point me to anyplace where I can get a resolution to this obstacle?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:31:51 pm

Hi, I think you would best wait for madvinegar, our resident wifi expert for that. In respect of dual booting, take a look at Matthew Moore's video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlTgaWs9BD0

and my Windows 7 dual boot vid here:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

STES

Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:37:33 pm

Actually I just found uninstall instructions in Z faqs. I'll look at the videos. Thx for your replies. Have a good day.