This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Full default wallpaper file?

dat_sylveon

Thu Jul 02, 2015 7:00:56 pm

Hi.

I would like to get the full wallpaper file that came with Zorin 8 by default. The file type does not matter. This is because I have switched distros a while ago after using Zorin and I would like to get my old wallpaper back.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:50:19 am

Boot your live DVD of Zorin 8, go to /home/Pictures/Wallpaper and copy any files their to USB stick to copy to your new OS's background folder. If not there, try:

File System | usr | share | backgrounds or

File system | usr | share | wallpaper.

Been a while! ;)

dat_sylveon

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:29:48 pm

Trying to start a live USB drive with the Zorin-os-8.1-core-32.iso file I got from sourceforge didn't work. When booted, SYSLINUX asked me what image to start. I had no idea which image, and from some experience from my school's computer setup, I tried to press enter without anything entered. Doing so froze the PC, and interestingly, pressing the power button once seemed to put it in some kind of Power-on-suspend state, with all USB devices turned off, but both fans still running. Pressing it again turned it back on to exactly how it was before I did it. Trying it in QEMU did the same, but it said "(stopped)" on the title bar. I repeated this process multiple times with different image names I glanced from the filenames; image, SYSLINUX, casper, and a bunch of others. But no.

It still beats me why it didn't want to work, but it seemed like it simply didn't. So I tried to open the iso in the archive manager on Ubuntu and I saw a huge squashfs file. Apparently, it contained the base file system that is loaded on bootup from the live CD. I used unsquashfs on it, and found the wallpaper file in there. Thanks!

TL;DR for people having the same problem in the future: Download the 8.1 Core ISO from sourceforge (google it). Open it with archive manager. Extract the 1.6 GB filesystem.squashfs file to an empty directory. Then, in the shell, go to the directory where you extracted it, and run "unsquashfs filesystem.squashfs". It'll take a while, grab a snickers. Then, in the folder that appears, go to the directory that Swarfendor wrote, and there's your wallpaper. (The new folder actually contains the entire Zorin OS 8.1 Core filesystem, so you can get other stuff too.)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:56:25 pm

Phew! Glad you got sorted friend. Will mark as [SOLVED]. ;) :D

Oh and 60 blue jewels for sharing how you did it! ;)