This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] How to edit file?

amrish

Thu Jul 02, 2015 10:47:48 pm

Hi,
May be I am wording it wrong under the subject title of this post, but here what I am trying to do.
I am using Zorin 9.0 and trying to edit fstab file by using "sudo gedit /etc/fstab". it does open the file but also gives lots of error.!

Is "gedit" can be use under Zorin or something else?

Please help me understand. Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Amrish

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:54:43 am

As far as I know gedit works fine in Zorin - what could well be the issue is ownership of etc and fstab.

Open a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and navigate to fstab thus:

Code:
cd .. home

Code:
cd .. /

then

Code:
cd .. etc

Code:
gksudo nautilus

Now open fstab and you should be good to go!

Keep us posted. :D

PS my "cd .." commands may be wrong as been a while since using it in Zorin! :D

amrish

Fri Jul 03, 2015 9:00:48 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,

Thank you for quick reply. I tried the steps you have provided and surprisingly it gives me following error:
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "overlay-scrollbar"

** (gedit:18956): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

** (gedit:18956): WARNING **: Can't load fallback CSS resource: Failed to import: The resource at '/org/gnome/adwaita/gtk-fallback.css' does not exist

Any help will be appreciated as I am getting same error while modifying /etc/firefox/syspref.js (this is to change default home page of browser).
Thank you,
Amrish

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 04, 2015 10:36:28 am

Hi, just to come back a stage have you done a complete post install procedure as per Wolfman's excellent guide here?:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054

amrish

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:23:03 pm

Hi Swarfendor437,
Thank you. I read and followed Wolfman's guide but there wasn't anywhere mentioned about why I am getting error using gedit!
Anyway, I think I have to wait until someone else having same issue post about it and hopefully we'll get some answer.

Thank you for all your help.
Amrish

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:37:08 pm

Strange! I have had no such issues following my own guidelines given earlier?:

Workspace 1_038.jpg

whilst you might see some errors to do with icons etc I was able to edit fstab, save then undo and save again. ;)

Linx

Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:59:41 pm

When you need to run a graphical application (like gedit) as root the suggested way is using gksudo.
Open Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T)
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab & exit

A window will come up asking for your password, if you enter your password correctly, the root gediit should come up.

Please note, you have to be in the sudoers file on the machine, the Username that was set up by install will be in this file all others will have to be added using the "visudo" command.

Personally, I like using a CLI text editor to complete any system work ( and most other work too ).
One example of this would be a simple nano text editor.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

User Ctrl+O to save (It will ask you to confirm the file name, hit enter) and Ctrl+X to exit

amrish

Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:59:49 pm

Hi Linx,

Thank you very much for your suggestions and yes, All codes provided by you works great. Thank you all for your help. My problem has been now solved.

Regards,
Amrish

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:41:56 am

Linx wrote:When you need to run a graphical application (like gedit) as root the suggested way is using gksudo.
Open Terminal (Ctrl + Alt + T)
Code:
gksudo gedit /etc/fstab & exit

A window will come up asking for your password, if you enter your password correctly, the root gediit should come up.

Please note, you have to be in the sudoers file on the machine, the Username that was set up by install will be in this file all others will have to be added using the "visudo" command.

Personally, I like using a CLI text editor to complete any system work ( and most other work too ).
One example of this would be a simple nano text editor.
Code:
sudo nano /etc/fstab

User Ctrl+O to save (It will ask you to confirm the file name, hit enter) and Ctrl+X to exit

Hi Linx, shoot me! :oops: forgot about gksudo

Linx

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:00:21 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Linx, shoot me! :oops: forgot about gksudo

No Problem!