This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Swapping out video card after Zorin9.0 install

mojolinux

Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:35:09 pm

Is there anything I need to know or do before swapping out my Nvidia GeForce 6200 AGP graphics card?
This is for an older AGP slot Asus A8-V Motherboard. I want to pull the Nvidia card and replace it with an ATI Radeon 4650 AGP video card.

Do I necessarily have to uninstall the default Xorg drivers for the Nvidia card first?
Or can I just swap out the NVIDIA video card hardware and just reboot my Zorin 9.0 for the correct ATI default Xorg drivers for the newly installed ATI hardware?

Any insight into this video hardware change would be greatly appreciated!

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:47:13 pm

HI, before uninstalling, go to:

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater - and click on the Settings button - go to 'Additional Drivers' - wait for it to load and ensure you have the item marked as in the screenshot - you should be good to just swap out - but wait to be corrected! Keep us posted! :D

Workspace 1_039.jpg

mojolinux

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:57:43 pm

Swarfendor 437
Worked like a charm! I swapped out the cards without a hitch! No muss No fuss!
I must say I am very pleased with Zorin9.0 and my present upgraded video card combo. Graphics and system are much improved now, especially my Compiz desktop!
Cube and motions are now smooth and deliberate rather than herkey jerkey, also video plays much better as well.
I would almost venture to say this 10yr.old now Linux box now performs equal to OR better than a brand new entry level brand name Windoze box.
No, I am not a gamer, but you can't play much on a NEW entry level Windoze box either.
Again, thanks for this O.S and Forum

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:52:38 am

Glad to be of help friend! :D