This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Upgrading XBMC to the new Kodi

piratebob

Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:33:32 am

I was wondering if anyone could explain how to upgrade the XBMC program on my Zorin 9 Ultimate edition to the new Kodi Version, I've scrolled thru the forums and I could not find anything on it or maybe I passed it up and didn't realize it. Directions on how to do this would be greatly appreciated, Thanks in advance. :)

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:00:57 pm

Hi, I would first start by removing XBMC - but make a note of which version is currently running as Kodi may rely on a kernel that might not be running on Zorin!

1. Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get autoremove xbmc

You will be asked for your login password to elevate you to 'root' (=administrator) - note if you have not used the terminal before you will not see any asterisks or other indicator as you type in your password.

2. Go to the Kodi website and download a .deb package for Kodi and install using Software Centre/er. :D

piratebob

Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:15:26 pm

Thank you Swarfendor437 for your response, it sounds simple enough to do but if you don't mind my asking and hopefully your monitoring this post how do I determine which Kernel is installed in this version of Zorin and is there any reference to the Kernel compatibility of Kodi listed on their site or anywhere for that matter. Thanks again for your response.

Linx

Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:08:25 pm

In terminal
(Press Ctrl+Alt+T)
run the following
Code:
uname -r
to get your kernal information.
If that doesn't quite give you the information you are looking for run
Code:
uname -rv
and if that still isn't quite what your looking for try
Code:
uname -a

Hope this helps!

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 07, 2015 11:37:43 am

Thanks for the infill Linx! As regards kernel compatibility, see if there is anything on the Kodi forums. You could always leave xbmc as is and install kodi alongside? :D

Also, run synaptic and see if xbmc is listed in the repositories - if it is highlighted as installed you can remove it that way by right-click and selecting 'remove' but DON'T select 'remove completely'!