This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Virus protection and other questions??????

nrthman17

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:37:40 pm

Hello,

Does the Zorin OS 9 Ultimate need virus protection? I have tried to download Avast which I bought the up-graded version and I am opening it with the wine program. A "Drive of the File System Filter Manger is not running comes up.' Does this mean something is not on or disabled? Does it mean Avast is not compatible with the OS? What can I do to download Avast?

Also is wine the main program for opening downloads? Sometimes I seem to go in circles after I download a program or file. I will extract it and then have to look for it and when I do find it asks the same actions again and I end up extracting it again, its so different then my windows XP. Any thoughts or help on this.

Also with my Word Doc from my XP system when I try to save them to documents from my USB memory stick they never go to documents on the Zorin OS 9. Any thoughts or help with that?

One more the Mozilla browser unlike the one I had on my XP has no "Home button?" I find that a bit annoying why is that?

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 08, 2015 11:53:29 am

Hi, Generally, Zorin (and GNU/Linux) in general are not prone to viruses but transferring files that have been created on a Windows machine that might have been infected will be an issue when they get passed on to wherever they are going to be passed on to. There is or was a free version of BitDefender for GNU/Linux - the standard opensource one is ClamAV - also free - search for it in the repositories using Synaptic Package Manager or Software Center/re. Avast for Windows will not Work under Wine - you need a vendor that provides AV that will run on GNU/Linux - pointers for which I have already given. :D

As for opening downloads, we need to know what it is you are trying to download, then we can give the correct instructions as to how to deal with these.

As for your Word documents, how are you trying to do this? You should just need to copy and paste from your USB to the Documents folder inside of '/home'. :D

Please check that you have the latest edition of Firefox installed - they did change the layout and some buttons you have to physically add to the menu bars etc so not a Zorin issue as such. :D

Also, please be sure to follow Wolfman's excellent Post installation guide here:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2054 :D

nrthman17

Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:38:53 am

Thanks that helpsley

On Downloads what would I open a new version of Mozilla. And I have read that Adobe Flash no longer has updates for Mozilla on Linux systems. Is that right? Will watching videos on Youtube just crash? On Mozilla that I have now its constantly asking if I will allow an out dated flash plug in.
Thanks

Linx

Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:56:31 am

Run this to fix most of the flash issues
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

You may need to reboot afterward, (if a new kernal was downloaded)
Windows programs (.exe or .msi) do not work natively on Linux, you should look for a Linx native program that does the same thing before trying to install a windows program in Wine, the compatibility layer used to "help" windows things run on linux, a great site for finding native Linux programs that do the same things your old windows programs did is http://alternativeto.net/

As far as watching things in youtube, youtube is now html5.
Most things are moving to HTML5 anyway, flash is a dieing language.

Hope this helps.

nrthman17

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:35:58 am

[quote="Linx"]Run this to fix most of the flash issues
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get upgrade -y; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y

Is this something I should enter into the terminal? I have never used it or anything like before. If so can I copy and paste or type it in or is this what I need to download from the site you recommended?

Thanks for the reply.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:49:58 am

Where you see 'Code select all - this will copy the content of Linx command to your clipboard. Open a Terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) click on Edit in the menu bar and select 'Paste'. You will be asked for your login password - you won't see any asterisks so be careful - you only get three attempts then you have to enter the command again! :D

nrthman17

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:16:42 pm

I did enter it into the terminal pretty darn cool and then when it was done I was prompted to do the software updates. So I hope that does it. How do I learn how to use the terminal?

Thanks again guys!

Anonymous

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:53:59 pm

nrthman17

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:59:06 pm

After I enter the code suggested it took care of the adobe flash issue, but now Mozilla crashes all the time. Any suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:01:16 pm

Hi, what version of Firefox do you have installed? It should be 39 I think - I am still running 38 on here. Just updating now using Software Updater - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater. :D

nrthman17

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:07:24 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, what version of Firefox do you have installed? It should be 39 I think - I am still running 38 on here. Just updating now using Software Updater - Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software Updater. :D

I am not sure, I probably might just un-install what I have reinstall it.

Here is what I got on the terminal just thought someone could look at it to see if there is anything a miss.

Thanks.

Fetched 55.3 kB in 40s (1,371 B/s)
Reading package lists... Done
W: An error occurred during the signature verification. The repository is not updated and the previous index files will be used. GPG error: http://deb.opera.com stable InRelease: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 517590D9A8492E35 NO_PUBKEY 63F7D4AFF6D61D45

W: Failed to fetch http://deb.opera.com/opera/dists/stable/InRelease

W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones used instead.
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/restricted i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_restricted_binary-i386_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/universe i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_universe_binary-i386_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/multiverse i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_multiverse_binary-i386_Packages)
W: Duplicate sources.list entry http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ trusty-security/main i386 Packages (/var/lib/apt/lists/security.ubuntu.com_ubuntu_dists_trusty-security_main_binary-i386_Packages)
~$ sudo apt-get install freshplayerplugin

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
localechooser-data
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove it.
The following extra packages will be installed:
libconfig9 libevent-core-2.0-5 libevent-pthreads-2.0-5
The following NEW packages will be installed:
freshplayerplugin libconfig9 libevent-core-2.0-5 libevent-pthreads-2.0-5
0 upgraded, 4 newly installed, 0 to remove and 34 not upgraded.
Need to get 298 kB of archives.
After this operation, 901 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

-2.0-5 i386 2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.1 [6,140 B]
Fetched 298 kB in 0s (382 kB/s)
Selecting previously unselected package libconfig9:i386.
(Reading database ... 300421 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack .../libconfig9_1.4.9-2_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libconfig9:i386 (1.4.9-2) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libevent-core-2.0-5:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../libevent-core-2.0-5_2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libevent-core-2.0-5:i386 (2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package libevent-pthreads-2.0-5:i386.
Preparing to unpack .../libevent-pthreads-2.0-5_2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.1_i386.deb ...
Unpacking libevent-pthreads-2.0-5:i386 (2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.1) ...
Selecting previously unselected package freshplayerplugin.
Preparing to unpack .../freshplayerplugin_0.3.1+git20150706~webupd8~trusty_i386.deb ...
Unpacking freshplayerplugin (0.3.1+git20150706~webupd8~trusty) ...
Setting up libconfig9:i386 (1.4.9-2) ...
Setting up libevent-core-2.0-5:i386 (2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.1) ...
Setting up libevent-pthreads-2.0-5:i386 (2.0.21-stable-1ubuntu1.14.04.1) ...
Setting up freshplayerplugin (0.3.1+git20150706~webupd8~trusty) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin (2.19-0ubuntu6.6) ...

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 10, 2015 11:42:29 am

Hi, what might help, and I am sure Wolfman may have covered this in his Post Installation guide and that is to change the location of the repository for updates - go to Software Updater, Settings, and for sources, change to 'Main Server'. :D

nrthman17

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:02:18 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, what might help, and I am sure Wolfman may have covered this in his Post Installation guide and that is to change the location of the repository for updates - go to Software Updater, Settings, and for sources, change to 'Main Server'. :D

Ok I will try that, both browsers are not closing/crashing on me, the google chrome just will go black I hear some sound then I have to hold the start button in to reboot. I may have to reinstall the Zorin os 9. Is there anyway to undo what I did in the terminal? I wasn't having any problems with the browsers closing just with the Adobe Flash and maybe I can go about fixing that as suggested here on the topic of Adobe Flash.

nrthman17

Fri Jul 10, 2015 12:12:24 pm

It didn't help setting to "Main Server," Firefox still is closing. I be gone for a few days when I get back I think I will just reload the Zorin OS 9.

Thanks though and other suggestions will be welcomed. I just seeing it as learning more than I did before.

nrthman17

Tue Jul 14, 2015 12:41:57 am

I reinstalled the Zorin OS 9 Ultimate and the screen will still go black when watching a video youtube or other source, I will hear sound for a bit then nothing and I have to reboot. It doesn't do it all the time and it will do it even with one window open, but it does it often enough. I am only using Google Chrome at this time.

I looked at the thread about screens going white or black but I am not sure if this applies to me. I tried some of the steps on my terminal looking for the Nivdia drivers by looking for the VGA. Nothing on the terminal screen even said Nvidia after the VGA. This is what was there: GM/965 / GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller (primary) (rev 0c)

Any suggestion on what to do please.

Thanks

Linx

Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:46:32 am

Are you getting an error when it crashes, or does it just close out without an error message, or does it lock up and stop responding?

I know there was an error in one version of firefox that caused it to lock up and sometimes crash during window resizeing (I think it has been fixed though)
depending on the sites you are using it could be a memory issue and the OS is killing the browser, How much ram do you have? How often does it crash, what are you normally doing when it crashes, are you able to freely reproduce it (follow a few simple steps to recreate the crash) ?

Try running the commands again (after you changed to the main repo server)
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y; sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Then reboot the computer =]

nrthman17

Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:28:24 pm

Linx wrote:Are you getting an error when it crashes, or does it just close out without an error message, or does it lock up and stop responding?

I know there was an error in one version of firefox that caused it to lock up and sometimes crash during window resizeing (I think it has been fixed though)
depending on the sites you are using it could be a memory issue and the OS is killing the browser, How much ram do you have? How often does it crash, what are you normally doing when it crashes, are you able to freely reproduce it (follow a few simple steps to recreate the crash) ?

Try running the commands again (after you changed to the main repo server)
Code:
sudo apt-get update; sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -y; sudo apt-get upgrade -y

Then reboot the computer =]

No I don't get an error at all the screen will go black I will still hear sound for a few more seconds and than that's it no response, I have to reboot by holding the power button in. I am just using google chrome right now to eliminate the problem easier. Te blackout happens when a video is playing, it seems it doesn't matter if I have one screen open or two, it has happened with just one open frequently.

Here is what is says about ram if I am right under "about this comp."
Memory 2.0 GB Intel Pentium Dual CPU T3200@2.00Hz x 2
Disk 243.9 GB

I noticed when I was looking at "about this comp," it asked to install updates and one was google-chrome-stable, maybe that will help.

I also did a terminal check on ram and got this
Inspiron-1525:~$ free -lm
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 2006 1760 245 199 57 814
Low: 859 758 101
High: 1146 1001 144
-/+ buffers/cache: 888 1118
Swap: 2036 0 2036

I'll wait to do the other steps until you have looked at this to see if this helps you at all. I think the directions for changing the server was also in this thread I'll check that too, if not I will need to know that too. It doesn't take much to recreate the crash usually flipping from one video to the next or starting another one or following a news link to a video.

Thanks very much for your help!

I actually enjoy learning all this so in some ways I don't mind the problems. I do like Zorin os 9 Ultimate it seems to operate a lot smoother and faster than my old windows

nrthman17

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:13:50 pm

No the "google-chrome-stable," update didn't help, google crashed again when watching a video. I will try the steps you recommended. let you know how it works.

Just to know if I did this right. I found the selection to "Main Server," at Software & Updates under the heading Download from: it was set at United States and I switched it to "Main Server." Hope that's where, it was a little different than described that's why I ask.

Thanks again.

nrthman17

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:30:23 pm

I entered the command above and changed to main server before I did, this is what the last few lines of the terminal said.....

Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded. It doesn't look successful?

nrthman17

Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:43:18 pm

Well I did all the above (enter commands) and it still crashed/blacked out. Google chrome doesn't even like the Netflix home page, while just searching for new dvds to put in my quire it went black, then down and I had to reboot.

Linx

Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:54:17 am

Have you check out this post?
http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Sounds like it may be related.

nrthman17

Wed Jul 15, 2015 4:13:39 am

Linx wrote:Have you check out this post?
http://zoringroup.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

Sounds like it may be related.

I did install the first driver 173, but it didn't help. I will try the others. I don't know where to look on my comp to know which driver I have and what I need.

nrthman17

Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:36:48 am

Well I tried all the different Nivivia drivers from 173-331 and 313 and nothing helped.

I tried this procedure as well and my screen still goes black after playing a youtube video for a few seconds.

SOS please?

If you are running Nvidia on any of your machines and the general procedure didn't work for you !!!!
Then this procedure will probably make you a happy camper.

I completed the below task 73 different times when nothing else worked on customers machines !!!!
It has worked everytime as the last resort option.

I've found by reverting back to Grub instead of Grub v2...the system became stable once again.
You can replace one for the other by :

: sudo apt-get install grub

: sudo update-grub

> You need to save config file when asked.

Now you can install these packages to be able to compile the Nvidia kernel module.

: sudo apt-get install linux-headers-generic linux-source build-essential

Next install the "Nvidia Driver Package", I recommend Nvidia 313.00

: sudo apt-get install nvidia-313-updates

Next >

: sudo nvidia-xconfig

Next >

: sudo update-initramfs -u

Lastly > : sudo reboot

Linx

Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:24:03 pm

kk, Try this
Code:
sudo apt-get install lm-sensors && sudo sensors-detect

It should ask you a whole bunch of questions, defaults should be fine, personally I tell it to check for everything.
This is going to install some software that will let you look at the temp of your hardware. Then it will tell it to try to detect all the sensors you have.

After that has been complete, I would run this in terminal (and leave the terminal open)
Code:
while true; sleep 1s; sensors > ~/lastreport.txt; echo -n "."; done

This will end up putting a bunch of dots in terminal, that is just to let you know it is still running, then open up your browser, and do you thing till it crashes.
After the crash is done reboot like normal, open terminal and run
Code:
cat ~/lastreport.txt

and that should print the results right before the crash, paste these result in here so we can take a peak at them.

Here are my current results
Code:
$ sensors
coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +34.0°C  (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)
Core 2:       +32.0°C  (high = +89.0°C, crit = +105.0°C)

f71889fg-isa-0a00
Adapter: ISA adapter
+3.3V:        +3.15 V 
in1:          +0.83 V  (max =  +2.04 V)
in2:          +1.04 V 
in3:          +1.06 V 
in4:          +0.85 V 
in5:          +0.94 V 
in6:          +1.31 V 
3VSB:         +3.23 V 
Vbat:         +3.14 V 
fan1:        2051 RPM
fan2:           0 RPM  ALARM
fan3:           0 RPM  ALARM
temp1:        +33.0°C  (high = +85.0°C, hyst = +81.0°C)
                       (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +96.0°C)  sensor = transistor
temp2:        +55.0°C  (high = +85.0°C, hyst = +81.0°C)
                       (crit = +100.0°C, hyst = +96.0°C)  sensor = transistor
temp3:        +33.0°C  (high = +70.0°C, hyst = +68.0°C)
                       (crit = +85.0°C, hyst = +83.0°C)  sensor = transistor

nouveau-pci-0100
Adapter: PCI adapter
temp1:        +43.0°C  (high = +95.0°C, hyst =  +3.0°C)
                       (crit = +105.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)
                       (emerg = +135.0°C, hyst =  +5.0°C)

nrthman17

Wed Jul 15, 2015 11:09:16 pm

The results of the first terminal command:

(The reason I am posting this is because of this - Monitoring programs won't work until the needed modules are
loaded. You may want to run 'service kmod start' to load them.) Also its the first time I have seen yes and no spelled out completely do I need to spell out the response completely as well or is the letter y or n OK? Thanks.

-Inspiron-1525:~$ sudo apt-get install lm-sensors && sudo sensors-detect
[sudo] password for
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
lm-sensors is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
# sensors-detect revision 6170 (2013-05-20 21:25:22 +0200)
# System: Dell Inc. Inspiron 1525 (laptop)
# Board: Dell Inc. 0U990C

This program will help you determine which kernel modules you need
to load to use lm_sensors most effectively. It is generally safe
and recommended to accept the default answers to all questions,
unless you know what you're doing.

Some south bridges, CPUs or memory controllers contain embedded sensors.
Do you want to scan for them? This is totally safe. (YES/no): yes
Module cpuid loaded successfully.
Silicon Integrated Systems SIS5595... No
VIA VT82C686 Integrated Sensors... No
VIA VT8231 Integrated Sensors... No
AMD K8 thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 10h thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 11h thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 12h and 14h thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 15h thermal sensors... No
AMD Family 15h power sensors... No
AMD Family 16h power sensors... No
Intel digital thermal sensor... Success!
(driver `coretemp')
Intel AMB FB-DIMM thermal sensor... No
VIA C7 thermal sensor... No
VIA Nano thermal sensor... No

Some Super I/O chips contain embedded sensors. We have to write to
standard I/O ports to probe them. This is usually safe.
Do you want to scan for Super I/O sensors? (YES/no): yes
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x2e/0x2f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'... No
Trying family `SMSC'... No
Trying family `VIA/Winbond/Nuvoton/Fintek'... No
Trying family `ITE'... No
Probing for Super-I/O at 0x4e/0x4f
Trying family `National Semiconductor/ITE'... Yes
Found unknown chip with ID 0xfc11

Some hardware monitoring chips are accessible through the ISA I/O ports.
We have to write to arbitrary I/O ports to probe them. This is usually
safe though. Yes, you do have ISA I/O ports even if you do not have any
ISA slots! Do you want to scan the ISA I/O ports? (YES/no): yes
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290... No
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM79' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83781D' at 0x290... No
Probing for `Winbond W83782D' at 0x290... No

Lastly, we can probe the I2C/SMBus adapters for connected hardware
monitoring devices. This is the most risky part, and while it works
reasonably well on most systems, it has been reported to cause trouble
on some systems.
Do you want to probe the I2C/SMBus adapters now? (YES/no): yes
Using driver `i2c-i801' for device 0000:00:1f.3: Intel 82801H ICH8
Module i2c-i801 loaded successfully.
Module i2c-dev loaded successfully.

Next adapter: i915 gmbus ssc (i2c-0)
Do you want to scan it? (yes/NO/selectively): yes

Next adapter: i915 gmbus vga (i2c-1)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus panel (i2c-2)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus dpc (i2c-3)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus dpb (i2c-4)

Next adapter: i915 gmbus dpd (i2c-5)

Next adapter: SDVO DDC proxy (i2c-6)

Next adapter: SMBus I801 adapter at 10c0 (i2c-7)
Do you want to scan it? (YES/no/selectively): yes
Client found at address 0x50
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'... No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'... No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'... Yes
(confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)
Probing for `EDID EEPROM'... No
Client found at address 0x52
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1033'... No
Probing for `Analog Devices ADM1034'... No
Probing for `SPD EEPROM'... Yes
(confidence 8, not a hardware monitoring chip)

Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `coretemp':
* Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

To load everything that is needed, add this to /etc/modules:
#----cut here----
# Chip drivers
coretemp
#----cut here----
If you have some drivers built into your kernel, the list above will
contain too many modules. Skip the appropriate ones!

Do you want to add these lines automatically to /etc/modules? (yes/NO)yes
Successful!

Monitoring programs won't work until the needed modules are
loaded. You may want to run 'service kmod start'
to load them.

Unloading i2c-dev... OK
Unloading i2c-i801... OK
Unloading cpuid... OK

-Inspiron-1525:~$

Second Terminal Command Results:
while true; sleep 1s; sensors > ~/lastreport.txt; echo -n "."; done
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `done'
-Inspiron-1525:~$

I didn't see any dots fill the terminal.

nrthman17

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:11:25 am

Its kind a funny, I can watch certain videos fine, ones that look like they could be from Vemo like links from news websites, but my system definitely doesn't like youtube. Sometimes I can play a full video on YT, but more than times than not the screen goes black than a few seconds later I lose the sound. If I am able to watch a whole video fine on YT than switch to a new one from the side bar it will usually go black once its starting to load. Maybe that is a clue? Something with Adobe Flash?

Linx

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:21:23 am

Sorry, It seems I missed a small part in my one liner
Code:
while true; do sleep 1s; sensors > ~/lastreport.txt; echo -n "."; done

Try that =]

nrthman17

Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:58:33 am

I think I may have it, but don't mark this as solved yet give me a day or two. I found on an ubuntu forum that on Google Chrome there is a "Use hardware accelerator," button in advance settings that can apparently draw too much CPU. So according to the forum I just "unticked" the box next to the option and restarted Google Chrome. I tested it out to the max, I played YouTube videos on two windows opened and plus surfed news sites on a third I did this for about ten minutes and the screen never went black! So hopefully that is it, I let you know in a day or two to mark the thread.

Thanks for your time everyone!

nrthman17

Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:15:12 pm

Yep that fixed it, I have playing YT videos in two windows open and a netflix streaming moving and no black screen. Maybe this fix will help others too.

Now I can really appreciate Zorin OS 9 and I do, very smooth and quick!

Thanks again guys for your time.