This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Printer Connection Help PLEASE.

nrthman17

Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:09:07 am

Hello,

I have installed the Zorin OS 9 Ultimate on my Dell Laptop inspiron 1525 the printer is a Dell V305 connected with a USB cable. I have gone through the prompts to set it up and I get a CUPS error and "broken pipes" and client-error-doc-format-not supported. I went though trouble shooting guide and it said it was on "pause" and go to the printer setting under polices and click on enabled and I did and it still won't print.

Can someone please help me get my printer working? I really like the Zorin OS and this hopefully will be the last bug to iron out after it's installation a few days back.

Thanks

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2015 11:58:59 am

Hi, I think you may be out of luck - why? Because Dell printers are re-badged Lexmark printers that only a few of ever worked with GNU/Linux - if you can afford a new printer then either buy an HP or Canon Printer. :)

nrthman17

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:21:51 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I think you may be out of luck - why? Because Dell printers are re-badged Lexmark printers that only a few of ever worked with GNU/Linux - if you can afford a new printer then either buy an HP or Canon Printer. :)

Interesting, but good to know so I'll quite banging my head to get it to work. Any suggestion to which brand or type would work best with my Dell inspiron 1525 and my new Zorin os 9 Ultimate?

Thanks and have a good one!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:54:14 pm

Hi HP offer the best support for GNU/Linux - and personally I have had no issues with my aged Canon i865 - Canon cartridges tend to be considerably cheaper than HP. I would personally go for a printer that does not rely on tri-colour cartridges as soon as one colour runs out you have to buy a new tri-color/ur cartridge.

Check my post here for hardware compatibility link:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=5440