This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Factory Restore Zorin 9

E-Man

Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:40:11 am

Hi, I have a couple problems with Zorin 9 and I also have it dual-booted with Windows Vista. So is there any way to factory reset or reinstall Zorin 9 without getting rid of Vista? Thank you!

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:04:10 pm

I guess you have GRUB installed (the GNU/Linux boot option menu). If this is the case you need to have a bootable version of Vista (the original installation disk or an OEM disk of the same version as yours, i.e., 32-bit if 32-bit Vista, to restore your mbr to a Vista (Windows) one. Before removing Zorin, backup all your Zorin data - remembering to go to your Home folder and press 'Ctrl+ H' to show all your hidden files so everything gets backed up. Even if you can do a Vista factory reset from within Vista I would err on the side of caution as the presence of GRUB may cause issues if this is a Notebook as opposed to a Desktop.

Can you provide us with as much information as possible so we can progress this? Thanks! :D

E-Man

Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:24:02 am

It is a Sony Vaio All-In-One desktop VGC-JS110J. I also don't have any Vista discs...

Linx

Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:23:13 am

Personally I would say get rid of vista =]

You should be able to put the disk in and you will have the option for an advanced install, you will need to choose the drive (most likely sda) for the grub install location, you will need to choose the rest of the partitions manually.

I strongly suggest completing a long format on the data first. =]

hope this helps.