This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Installing on machine with multiple partitions already

jay fora

Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:49:17 am

Hi, I am completely new to Linux and a non-techy home user of windows, and am just about to install Zorin alongside windows 7. It is a clean machine, recently factory reset with four partitions is already on it. This is where my question comes in. The first two are the Windows system and the windows image . The next is a 100 GB partition that windows saves files to by default. and the next partition is a 350 GB partition. So is the instruction to leave room for windows still valid? Or do I get a choice during install on which partition Zorin will be installed? Also, when it comes to deciding the partition sizes, this depends on whether I would be able to have a partition which contains all files saved by both Windows and Zorin that they can both read and write to ? Or whether I would have to use a portable HDD? I have read that Zorin can read and write to NTFS. I would appreciate some advice please, thanks.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 16, 2015 11:39:31 pm

Whether you can install Zorin on your current setup would depend on how many of your existing partitions are 'Primary' - the maximum is 4.

How to do it properly is in my video here:

https://vimeo.com/110085401

If having difficulties, make free space, create an extended partition and create the three partitions you need inside of that - '/', /home, swap area :D