This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HOW TO USE EXTERNAL DISPLAY AS CLONE?

bongski55

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:57:04 am

When I use windows 7 for presentations automatically the external display is a "clone" of the desktop. I mean whatever is displayed on the desktop is displayed on the external monitor screen. I connect either HDMI or the vga connector it does not matter.
Now when using Zorin the display seems "extended" I don not know the English word. But the external display seems to be an extension of the desktop. When I move the mouse from the edge of the desktop it goes to the external screen. So my presentation is not displayed on the external screen.
When I try to go to settings, there is a thing called "mirror" . But in order for the mirror to work the resolution is reduced to a ridiculous setting.

Please help in resolving this. I really thought of using Zorin as my default OS until I tried presentations.

I use a netbook-Asus eeepc 1025c.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 18, 2015 11:37:36 am

bongski55

Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:15:22 pm

OH NO...Command line utility....is there a GUI?

Zorin is supposed to be making transition from windows easier.This is a pain....!

Anyway, after going into terminal and issuing xrandr-q the display on the external screen, a Sony 72inch LCD, became the same as my desktop but with 800 x 600 res. Not so good.

Thanks anyway...

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:50:53 pm

OK

Anonymous

Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:30:54 pm

Zorin OS
Just in case !!!! :D :D

Look in Monitor/Display section via Zorin Menu ........
When you click to open that window....you will have the exact same choice as in [ Windows ]
You want to make sure the [ box ] is checked that says [ duplicate display ] !!!!
This will enable one to do their presentation just as they would in [ Windows ] !!!!

Note this can be accomplished with either Nouveau/Nvidiia driver enabled regardless !!!!
Long as the [ enabled ] driver ...[ configuration ] is working correctly !!!!
Remember Zorin OS...is not Windows...quality is Night/Day in comparison......
One has to do their own final tweaking to obtain the closest display size needed to achieve their goal !!!!

Lastly don't expect to much using a [ Netbook ] via GNU/Linux for presentations !!!!
Why !!!! [ Bottom End Hardware ] !!!!