This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How do I block a website (Java script used for advertising)

Dude

Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:25:35 pm

Hi guys, I've tried several web browsers and I get the same thing on my computer. First off, here is what I have...
Motherboard= Gigabyte 7VT600P-RZ
Video Card= Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD4650
CPU= AMD Athlon XP 3200+ 2.3GHz
2.5 gigs of RAM
Hard Drive= W.D. VelociRaptor 250GB
Monitor= Samsung SyncMaster 770 TFT

The problem I'm having is, no matter which web browser I use, they keep closing on me on their own. I did a fresh install of Zorin 9 and I'm still having the problem. So I just Googled the problem and I read that I need to block this website. It's a Java script used for advertising that I don't need. The website is 127.0.0.1 ssl-hints.netflame.cc

So my question is, where do I go in my computer, and how do I block that website?

I am very new to Linux, so you're going to have to dumb it down for me.

Thank you for any help I can get.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 18, 2015 10:53:07 pm

Your best bet would be to sign up to the free OpenDNS client. Once you have it running you can login to OpenDNS and do a custom edit of websites to block - have you tried installing Midori?

Dude

Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:18:27 pm

Hi! Long time no see. Yes I did tried that web browser as well. I've tried 4 or 5 different ones with the same results.

I've done some Googling and found on Firefox I can install an extension called Block Site Plus. I did that and it STILL closes on it's own.

So then I found where I can use the terminal and block certain websites no matter which web browser I use. But I'm having a problem with that as well. Here's what I have.........

Open a terminal, and type "sudo vi /etc/hosts"
Type Shift+G, then Shift+A, then I.
You should now see --INSERT-- at the bottom of the screen. (This is where my problem is! I don't see the INSERT at the bottom!)
then I'm supposed to cut and paste this code: 127.0.0.1 siteyouwanttoblock.com.
To save, press : and type wq and click enter.

So how do I get the INSERT to come up at the bottom of the terminal? Did I do something wrong?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:09:03 pm

Try this solution:

http://www.addictivetips.com/ubuntu-lin ... ntu-linux/

in Zorin you may have to enter:

Code:
gksudo nautilus

then run the 'gedit' command in the article I pointed you too.

Keep us posted!

:D

Dude

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:34:13 pm

I messed something up. I typed in what you told me to do and now in the terminal it says it found a swap file by the name "/etc/.hosts.swp"

1) Another program may be editing the same file. If this is the case, be careful not to end up with two different instances of the same file when making changes. Quit, or continue with caution.

2) An edit session for this file crashed. If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/hosts" to recover the changes (see ":help recovery"). If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/hosts.swp" to avoid this message.

So now what do I do? You really have to dumb this down for me. I do not know Linux at all.

E325: ATTENTION
Found a swap file by the name "/etc/.hosts.swp"
owned by: root dated: Sun Jul 19 11:52:31 2015
file name: /etc/hosts
modified: YES
user name: root host name: dougspring-desktop
process ID: 19470
While opening file "/etc/hosts"
dated: Thu Jul 16 18:43:21 2015

(1) Another program may be editing the same file. If this is the case,
be careful not to end up with two different instances of the same
file when making changes. Quit, or continue with caution.
(2) An edit session for this file crashed.
If this is the case, use ":recover" or "vim -r /etc/hosts"
to recover the changes (see ":help recovery").
If you did this already, delete the swap file "/etc/.hosts.swp"
to avoid this message.
"/etc/hosts" 9 lines, 233 characters
Press ENTER or type command to continue

So now I need to fix what I screwed up, and also block that Java script that keeps closing my web browsers.

Dude

Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:38:48 pm

One more thing I read about OpenDNS.

Can I Block Advertisers and Ad Servers?

Chris Frost
posted this on February 2, 2014, 22:33

No, but for good reason. Blocking advertising providers at the DNS level can have adverse affects on browsing behavior and speed.

Significant reduction in speed is partially due to the process used by many browsers to render a Web page. Each element of content on a Web page is loaded sequentially and if several elements are blocked, the browser waits for a timeout to expire before moving to the next element. This will cause very significant delays when there are multiple elements being blocked.

This performance degradation on the user experience is the main reason OpenDNS does not offer an Advertising category in Web Content filtering.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 20, 2015 12:02:11 pm

Well to be honest, I have never messed with the hosts file in GNU/Linux, never had the need to - I am curious how you keep getting the unwanted website. Just because GNU/Linux is different to Windows does not mean its browsers are different - just look for Add-ons for the browser that you are using - you must have landed on a spurious website to keep having issues like the one you are having - never had such an issue since Zorin 4 myself! ;)

Dude

Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:52:34 pm

Maybe I'll just do another fresh install of Zorin Core again.

If I pay for Zorin OS 9 Ultimate, can I get a DVD in the mail instead of downloading it?

I only see where I have to download the OS.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56:20 pm

Yes they normally ship a DVD - it costs a bit more than the Download - PM AZorin or zorink for details if you can't find anything on the zoringroup.com website. :D

Dude

Mon Jul 20, 2015 10:38:37 pm

Thank you, I just sent him a PM.

I pretty sure I won't have any problems after installing Ultimate, at least I hope not.