This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Selected text in AbiWord is impossible to read

fayanora

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:54:09 am

For some reason, no matter what color scheme I go with, no matter what theme, AbiWord selects text in black, with black text, and so it is impossible to read when selected. What, if anything, can I do? I am a newbie, not great with computers but above average. Not new to Linux, just Zorin, but my Ubuntu experience doesn't really count for much as I had to look up how to do a lot of things and I don't remember any of it except the importance of triple-checking you're following directions right.

I am using Zorin OS 9 lite, it's been updated. The computer is a Lenovo Ideapad S10, dual boots Zorin and Windows XP. I haven't tried AbiWord in Windows 2000 mode, just in Mac mode. Selected text is only messed up in AbiWord, not in any other program I have tried.

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:45:33 pm

Well I don't have lite running except in VM on another hard drive in this PC - have you tried installing Kingsoft Office at all?

http://kdl.cc.ksosoft.com/wps-community ... 1_i386.deb

For ease of installation I woud install gdebi package manager - open a terminal and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gdebi

Once you have installed gdebi, launch it then click on 'File' and direct it to the .deb package of Kingsoft Office - see if that is any better - it could be a graphics card issue but await for someone else to advise.

Have you done a full update as per Wolfman's excellent post-install guide for Lite?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Keep us posted! :D

fayanora

Sun Jul 19, 2015 7:58:19 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well I don't have lite running except in VM on another hard drive in this PC - have you tried installing Kingsoft Office at all?

For ease of installation I woud install gdebi package manager - open a terminal and enter:

Code:

Once you have installed gdebi, launch it then click on 'File' and direct it to the .deb package of Kingsoft Office - see if that is any better - it could be a graphics card issue but await for someone else to advise.

Have you done a full update as per Wolfman's excellent post-install guide for Lite?

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

I ran into some other issues with AbiWord, like it was only showing me half of the text in my files (making me worry it hadn't saved right but then I saw it was doing the same with things saved from other computers/programs), and finally got so frustrated with it I tried installing the Linux version of OpenOffice, couldn't figure out what order to do the deb files in, gave up, and had Play In Windows install the Windows version of OpenOffice, which is working great.

But I will check out those things you posted later, when I'm on that computer.

fayanora

Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:57:19 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well I don't have lite running except in VM on another hard drive in this PC - have you tried installing Kingsoft Office at all?

Code:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4835

Okay, it already had Gdebi's latest install, apparently. I did the the other stuff you mentioned, and well... That WPS Office or whatever it is, is a worse piece of shyte than AbiWord. Nothing displays in it right. I'm just gonna stick with OpenOffice.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:57:27 am

Well it could be an issue with Zorin Lite or an issue with your Graphics - can't say - any chance you could post a screenshot? If you want an easier life you would have been better with LibreOffice as it is developed by all the devs that left Open Office after Oracle took over Sun Microsystems that first brought out OpenOffice. LibreOffice looks just the same as Open Office except it has more to offer but if you have a low powered machine, AbiWord is usually OK so I am bemused why you are having issues. I suggested Kingsoft Office as you have the choice of a M$ Ribbon or traditional 2003 layout! :D

fayanora

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:28:31 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well it could be an issue with Zorin Lite or an issue with your Graphics - can't say - any chance you could post a screenshot? If you want an easier life you would have been better with LibreOffice as it is developed by all the devs that left Open Office after Oracle took over Sun Microsystems that first brought out OpenOffice. LibreOffice looks just the same as Open Office except it has more to offer but if you have a low powered machine, AbiWord is usually OK so I am bemused why you are having issues. I suggested Kingsoft Office as you have the choice of a M$ Ribbon or traditional 2003 layout! :D

Funny you should mention LibreOffice, I just now installed that before you, and so far no problems. Displays text perfectly, even when text is selected. So far, so good. No idea why the others didn't work, but now I don't have to care why. :-)

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:50:01 pm

Hi, Glad you are Sorted - will mark as [RESOLVED]. :D