This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Zorin OS 10 RC2 32bit suddenly Slowed down

GrIMaCe

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:58:51 am

Hi,
I have previously used zorin OS 8 followed by 9 mostly, I have found it to be a great OS doing everything i want and mostly how i want with minimum fuss, I have also prevously used other linux installs going back to ubuntu 8.04 and linux mint mostly, I got an old laptop back that i had lent a friend it had an old install of MInt on it and he had made a bit of a mess of it, after learning about Zorin OS 10 RC2, I figured id give it a try, I was most impressed for about 3 days after a few restarts it was still working great had couple of small issues I worked out but mostly i was impressed, i was at my girl friends parents house for those few days, i have now returned home and al of a sudden this thing is dragging its feet badly, i cant watch any movies or Netflix on this machine due to it jumping around from being so slow, right now as it type the cpu system monitor applet is sitting on 87%, during those days at my GF parents house I watched many Movies on this machine with out any issues, I dont understand what has changed, I had noticed that there had not been a system update automatically run since the installation so i tried running one hoping it might download a bug fix but no luck mostly just updated firefox and chrome, Any ideas would be great I have a feeling its something to do with graphics drivers but this machine is intel graphics I say that because the Z menu was taking for ever to unfold untill i dropped animations but it was working fine previously the laptop is a
Toshiba A100 laptop
T2500 dual core 2.0ghz cpu
2GB ram and 500GB HDD
its no massively quick machine but should be enough and until now always has been, it runs windows 7 ok so not being a linux Guru as such my next course of action will be to reinstall the OS with OS 9 unless someone has any ideas, thanks

GrIMaCe

Thu Jul 23, 2015 3:59:47 am

This sounds like it might be the problem
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+sour ... ug/1292467
the only other thing i did was connect my 47inch TV, going for a reboot now

GrIMaCe

Thu Jul 23, 2015 4:22:20 am

Yep that sounds like it, after disconnecting the TV and rebooting its working perfectly again, strangely if the TV is connected after the login it stays working well, its amazing the difference 3d acceleration makes, sometime we forget and take it for granted, A more permanent solution other than rebooting and reconnecting would be good but otherwise thanks for reading

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:54:41 pm

OK, I installed LXLE 12.04 on a friends Toshiba A100 purely and simply because it was the best distro I could find reference to on the Internet at the time. I would advise you put Zorin 9 Lite on it as that is also based on Lubuntu. :D

GrIMaCe

Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:57:50 am

I use Zorin 9 lite on my Dell mini 9 as that little Atom is really lacking the horse power and needs every bit of help it can get, Yeah your right its a great distro, the problem was not that the A100 was actually lacking enough power as it has a dual core 2Ghz CPU and really has enough raw power for most everyday situations, I mean its no i7 but im happy enough anyway :) , the problem turns out to be when I plugged in my TV to the VGA port during boot up this breaks the video drivers ablity to 3D accelerate and all of a sudden all the eye candy parts drag the machine down like you wouldnt believe, the simple work around is to wait till after the login and then connect the TV, somehow this doesnt break the video driver and everything works great, it just wasnt obvoius at first, I tried plugging in and unplugging the TV before but didnt realise that once the damaged had been done and once the driver is broken a full reboot is required to make good again, all good now, Some better video drivers that dont break would be nice but thats not really up the the Zorin team, thanks

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:05:20 pm

Hi, Glad you managed to resolve the issue (will mark as such!) and getting back to us - so 120 blue jewels to you friend! :D