This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

HIBERNATE OPTION

bongski55

Thu Jul 23, 2015 11:31:51 am

How can I add the "HIBERNATE" option when I close the laptop lid? Only "Suspend" is availlable on my Core installation.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:00:22 pm

Hi Zorin 9 is based on Ubuntu 14.04 - this should help:

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/201 ... ntu-14-04/

Keep us posted! :D

bongski55

Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:29:55 am

This is what happened so far:
1. Hibernate works in terminal. I also noticed that when I resume the computer it goes thru the boot selection menu since I dual boot windows and of course the grub menu of Zorin.The only indication is thatit was back to where I left off.
2. After editing the logind.conf file closing the lid of the laptop it went to hibernation. But if I try to go to settings and power. I still have "Suspend" and "Do Nothing" but no Hibernate.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 24, 2015 2:42:38 pm

OK, changed my search parameters based on the information you provided and found this 'useful?' article:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Power ... /Hibernate

bongski55

Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:01:05 am

Well, hibernate works ok. I am assuming that is the way Linux hibernate works.

Just have to add it to the Settings/Power menu, but then it is not so important.

Thank you for your help.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:47:19 pm

Glad to help where I can friend! Can this thread be marked as [SOLVED]? :D

bongski55

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:16:06 am

It is partially solved.

So how to add the "Hibernate" option for Lid Closing in the power settings menu?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:37:04 am

Hi, Please take a look at the answer at the bottom of this page to see if it resolves your issue:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/517683/l ... untu-14-04

Keep us posted! :D

bongski55

Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:19:45 pm

No nothing has been added to the power settings menu. There is nothing on the link that specifically deals with the menu. It is in SYSTEM SETTINGS then HARDWARE - POWER.

I also tried the live version of linux mint mate. Hibernate is there on the power menu.In fact there are 5 options on the power menu for the "When laptop lid is closed"--do nothing,blank screen,suspend,hibernate and shutdown. Since mint is also ubuntu based then it can also be implemented on zorin.

Oh and I reiterate that mine hibernates when the lid is closed. I did that by editing the logind file.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:08:35 am

HI, for clarity, Mint is actually based on Debian, not Ubuntu. The link I pointed you to stated they had to write a script. ;)

bongski55

Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:11:54 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:HI, for clarity, Mint is actually based on Debian, not Ubuntu. The link I pointed you to stated they had to write a script. ;)

It states Debian AND Ubuntu based. Anyway the script on the link is for a system that does not hibernate on lid closing. Mine does already. And Zorin by default already has hibernation as
pm-hibernate command will cause the system to hibernate.
Anyway I did all the steps up to the bottom. There was no effect at all on the power settings menu.
It is not a "show stopper" so to speak, but I am interested to know how the power settings menu can be edited for this.

Thanks for your time.

Swarfendor437

Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:38:00 pm

No problem friend - in view of your discoveries in other OS's it might be worth PM'ing AZorin and zorink - the Brothers Zorin that brought this Distro to life. ;)

Don't forget to include a link to this thread. :D

bongski55

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:23:04 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:No problem friend - in view of your discoveries in other OS's it might be worth PM'ing AZorin and zorink - the Brothers Zorin that brought this Distro to life. ;)

Don't forget to include a link to this thread. :D

Tried to pm but "requested users do not exist". All are colored red in the member's list.

Anyway I am installing Mint Mate. Goodbye to Zorin for now.

Thank you very miuch for your help....

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:55:13 am

Well if you are looking for an alternative Windows Clone I would give MakuluLinux a definite look - has Cinammon DE and Mate extensions! :D ;) :

download/file.php?id=4154&mode=view

bongski55

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:38:56 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Well if you are looking for an alternative Windows Clone I would give MakuluLinux a definite look - has Cinammon DE and Mate extensions! :D ;) :

download/file.php?id=4154&mode=view

Thanks but not another unknown distro. At lease mint is well known. With all due respect, but I observe that you alone are the one responding to majority of the questions here. What if you go on holiday or something? So no more help for Zorin? Anyway I will surely look at Zorin from time to time.....

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:46:25 am

MakuluLinux is only recently produced a 'Windows' type desktop - traditionally it produces XFCE based desktop using Debian. ;) I first tried 7 live - current one is 9 - mainly been 64-bit but Jacque Raymer in process of 32-bit versions:

http://makululinux.com/

bongski55

Tue Jul 28, 2015 10:43:33 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:MakuluLinux is only recently produced a 'Windows' type desktop - traditionally it produces XFCE based desktop using Debian. ;) I first tried 7 live - current one is 9 - mainly been 64-bit but Jacque Raymer in process of 32-bit versions:

http://makululinux.com/

Just to try it I went to the makululinux website. I found out that when I click on any of the links on the website an advertisement site would open in a new tab. Not a good sign for me (or is it only me?) . I understand that people have to earn for there living but from a website to be dominated by ads?
Also the download takes 6 hours? for a 4g connection that I have --- sourceforge website is notoriously slow.
THANKS anyway.....

Swarfendor437

Tue Jul 28, 2015 9:59:10 pm

Will PM you if you respond here!

bongski55

Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:43:25 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Will PM you if you respond here!

I already tried the makulu 64bit beta live method. It looks like Mint Mate

Swarfendor437

Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:07:19 pm

Yes, what he has done is made a concoction of Debian Jessie (Testing) and Mint - not a bad job if I say so myself and nice theming of the desktop, especially the panel. :D