This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Trying to update Adobe Flash Player

Dude

Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:09:28 pm

I installed Zorin 9 Ultimate yesterday hoping I would be getting rid of all my problems. It looks great, but I have a slight problem.

I open Firefox and try to watch a Youtube video. At the top I get "Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" from running on http://www.youtube.com".

I check my plugin and I've got Shockwave Flash 11.2.202.394 installed. It has a note with it saying "Shockwave Flash is known to be vulnerable and should be updated.

So I click on "Update Now", and I'm directed to download the Adobe Flash Player version 11.2.202.491, Linux 32-bit, English, Firefox. Now I selected APT for Ubuntu 10.04+. Is this the right one that I should download?

Well I try to install the update using the Software Center, and it says Adobe Flash Player version 11 is already installed!!! At the bottom left corner it says the version is adobe-flashplugin11.2.202.394-0trusty1.

Should I remove this plugin and maybe try to install it all over again?

The Extensions I have installed (in Firefox) are Youtube HTML5 Player 1.10.1 and also Youtube Flash-HTML5 0.1.0.1.

I also tried using Google Chrome, and when I did it popped up saying "This computer can no longer run Google Chrome because it's hardware is no longer supported". I was gonna try to use Google Chrome so I can install the Pepper Player Plugin that Chrome has.

And the Firefox version I am using is 39.0.

Hope this isn't too confusing. I know I'm confused.

Any help you can give would be greatly appreciated. And please make the answer pretty simple. I don't know Linux all that well. Thank you.

Swarfendor437

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:28:06 pm

Hi, this is the version I have installed with Firefox 39.0:

Workspace 1_049.jpg

I can't remember installing specific add-ons think it came via updates - see what happens when you change your Software Updater Server location to 'Main Server'. :D

Dude

Fri Jul 24, 2015 4:24:18 pm

I changed the Software Updater server location to "Main Server". I also found a post from Wolfman about this and tried some of the other settings he had. I did get more updates, but NOT about the Adobe Flash Player. So I kept reading and then I tried going into Youtube and changed the settings so it uses HTML5 instead of Flash, AND IT WORKS! So I'm not going to mess with it anymore. Video's on other web sites work so far too, so that's a good thing.

Before I did all that stuff above, I did however go on Google and found an APT download for version 11.2.202.491, so I downloaded it. I opened Firefox and it started closing on it's own like it did before I install Zorin 9 Ultimate. So I did a fresh install of Ultimate again.

So now it's working. I'm glad I can reinstall Zorin if I get too deep into a problem I can't figure out.

So I guess it's sorta kinda fixed.

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:41:13 pm

Hi Dude, will mark as [RESOLVED]. ;) :D