This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Changing the theme of things

DariusM

Fri Jul 24, 2015 3:55:55 pm

First off... I don't really wanna say this, but I was thoroughly disappointed with this. My expectations were very high that this would be a good linux distro... imagine my disappointment when I had to waste four hours, just to get the wireless drivers to work, without having an ethernet connection at hand - something which shouldn't happen. I didn't have a problem with other Linux distros in these matters, I tried Ubuntu (Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Studio, etc.), Mint, Kali, Puppy (the usual one and Lucid), Debian, openSUSE, fedora, Korora, etc. All of them recognized the wireless card without even a hint of work on my part... Just saying, that if this is meant to offer users an easy route from Windows to Linux... stuff like that shouldn't ever happen.

Aside of that, whenever I setup my taskbar and menu to look a certain way, it gets totally changed to default (white) if I click on any of the options Look Changer gives. Even if I am on a costumized Windows 7 look, and click on Windows 7 mode, it'll just change the taskbar and menu to white again...

Also, if I ever happen to hover over an open window that is shown in the taskbar, first the window shows up, then the corners of the preview (meaning the outline and the name of the program), which just looks like... well, worse than Windows 7... so...

On to the main point, though. On the right of the screen, the applet (specifically the Indicator 3 applet) does not change color when I set a different theme - they just keep the color white (even though I already set the theme to Blue and menu look to Zorin Blue).

Swarfendor437

Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:40:01 pm

Hi DariusM,

I have had similar issues with wireless depending on which dongle I have been using - part of the issue will depend on which kernel is shipped and therefore ndiswrapper-dkms and ndiswrapper-source are the two packages that may be the issue facing you. There is a way to backup your themes in AWN Panel settings.

With reagard to indicator3 applet I have to say I agree entirely with you - I got round this by installing Cairo-Dock DE, and GnoMenu - replacing the de-facto ZorinMenu which is based on GnoMenu - it also meant that I could launch the GnoMenu with the Left Windows key - something that has not been addressed with the advent of Zorin 10 but its themes have improved tremendously, especially the black/dark ones in respect of contrast.

I think (and this is only my personal opinion) that I would like Zorin to ditch being a fork of Ubuntu and be a Debian fork on similar lines to MakuluLinux. (So we can agree on some things! ;) ) :D