This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

What dual boot menu does Zorin 9 use?

philipgr

Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:38:44 am

Good morning

I have what might seem an odd question. What dual boot menu is Zorin 9 OS using? Is it Grub 2? The reason I am asking is that I have just upgraded my Linux Mint distro from 17.1 to 17.2 via the update manager. They advised that after upgrading I needed to manually update the grub menu by entering sudo update-grub. I have done this but the boot menu still shows Linux Mint 17.1 Rebecca. Why is the boot menu not showing Linux Mint 17.2 Rafaela in the listing? I like the blue and white colours of the Zorin boot menu and I would like to keep them. Also I have Zorin at the top of the menu. I have boot repair installed in both distros. I do not want to run it in Mint because it will change the order of my items and the colours. I also boot into Ubuntu 12.04 and Windows 7. All are 64 bit.

Regards
Philip
:?

Swarfendor437

Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:00:50 am

To the best of my knowledge Zorin uses GRUB 2. I should just like to point out that you should really ditch Ubuntu 12.04 for the following reasons:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

:D

philipgr

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:10:39 pm

Hi Swartfendor

Thank you for the link. I did not know anything about the security issue. I want to upgrade my Ubuntu to 14.04 but after an update earlier in the year the 'update to 14.04' button disappeared from the update manager. I have been thinking of doing an upgrade via bash. I tried doing upgrading Zorin 6 to Zorin 9 that way because its' upgrade button had also vanished. It worked up to a point but then it bombed on me. I* eventually had to delete Zorin 6 and do a fresh install of Zorin 9. It took me a long time to reinstall all my stuff. I have been hoping to avoid having to do that with Ubuntu. My monthly internet cap is limited. I use Zorin and Mint more than Ubuntu primarily because of the desktops offered (Windows 7 style and Cinnamon). I hate Unity and GNOME Shell I find them to be cumbersome. In Ubuntu I am currently using GNOME2 fallback mode for the desktop.

Regards
Philip