This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] password page just looping

obie67

Thu Jul 30, 2015 6:37:15 pm

Zorin 9 OS boots up, password page comes up, correct password seems accepted, then black screen and password page comes up again... how do I get around this?
Thanks

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:41:51 am

Before going any further - have you caught the space bar before typing in the password? Have you made sure that 'Caps Lock' has not been caught? Have you ensured that you are not logging in as 'Guest'? :D

obie67

Fri Jul 31, 2015 11:37:07 am

Those are not the problem. If anything like that happens I get incorrect password message. This accepts password, but doesn't proceed to proper page, just loops back after brief black screen. Now I have newly installed Zorin and made password not necessary on boot. Thanks.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:19:47 pm

OK, so you let me get this straight, you have autologin enabled and it no longer works?

obie67

Fri Jul 31, 2015 6:44:54 pm

On that version it needs password on login, accepts password and then goes blank and then comes up again asking for password. I have installed Zorin 9 again and am redoing my stuff on it, and had it installed to not require password at first, and it is working. Left the earlier installation on the computer however. Thanks :-)

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11:02 pm

Just be mindful it may be problematical for anything that requires root privileges when you need to enter your login password! ;)

obie67

Sat Aug 01, 2015 1:24:01 am

Thanks

Wolfman

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:43:24 am

Hi,

did you burn your install medium at the slowest possible speed/fully format the USB stick?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

obie67

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:23:57 pm

Thanks Wolfman for your post. The password looping started after some other stuff occurred, it had worked OK for months after installation. I have made a different installation of Zorin 9 alongside the other one and am able to use the recent installation OK. Just not able to enter the older one and retrieve updated Firefox bookmarks, etc. :-)

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:40:24 pm

Hi, have you tried booting Zorin with your installation media and accessing your old OS's '/home' that way? Just remember to use Ctrl+ H to see all your hidden files, including your settings for Firefox. :D

obie67

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:21:55 pm

Thanks for your tip, Swarfendor437. I accessed it through my currently running Zorin 9 and looked for hidden files, and went through and found Firefox bookmarks eventually and was able to get the last one from July 29 to get into my current Zorin Firefox, just losing the bookmarks from the last few days but gaining probably a bunch. I had put in bookmarks from another working OS, but they were not as recent. One key was your observation that they were in hidden files. Thanks :-)

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:41:36 pm

Glad to be of help friend! ;) :D

obie67

Fri Aug 07, 2015 11:43:00 am

I don't see my thanks on here, so will thank you again, Swarfendor437. I was able to access the Firefox bookmarks through the later installation of Zorin 9, thanks to you mentioning Firefox was in hidden files. :-)

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:25:01 pm

Hi, you thanked me in the post above my last posting? ;) :D