This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Virtual Box`s "guest" connects to different IP address

mojolinux

Thu Jul 30, 2015 9:23:18 pm

Hi Swarfendor437

I need some help /advise in understanding how to change my Zorin9`s VirtualBox Win7 (guest) Logitech *UE Music Library Server* software from connecting to an IP address: 10.0.2.15,
instead of a correct home network IP address of 192.168.3.XX.

Does the "guest" VM automatically connect to this other (10.0.2.15) IP address network? If so, can it be changed somewhere either in the VirtualBox Control Panel or somewhere else in Zorin9?

I have the Logitech UE Music Library software installed on another Win7 (only) computer and it works just fine! Here I can see how it is successfully connecting to this home network computer at
IP address of 192.168.3.***, and I can access the previous configured UE Music Library Server from my Logitech UE Smart Radio great!
My intention is to recreate this UE Music Library server connection on my VM!

However, on the Zorin9 Virtual Box Win7 *guest*, the UE Music Library Server software is installed correctly and is actually up and running OK.
I can verify the "server is running" through their provided "Diagnostics" tab, but I can't access it from my UE Smart Radio because it is connecting to a different network IP address of 10.0.2.15 !!!
There is NO facility or option within the Music Library Sever Control Panel itself to adjust or change any IP address, or connection, or anything like this.

You may ask, why don't I contact Logitech support?
Let's just say they are clueless, not only about their own product, but also when it comes to anything Linux..... yet alone a Virtual machine!
I'm fairly certain that if I could get this UE Music Library Server software to connect to my 192.168.3.xx home network, I would be able to get my "Smart Radio" to access the Library folders I have already successfully added to the Win7 VM for this purpose.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:48:22 am

Hi, your question is beyond my capabilities/knowledge base - I would advise that you visit the Virtual Box forums:

https://forums.virtualbox.org/

madvinegar

Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:16:29 pm

From the settings of your guest system go to "network" and change "NAT" to "Bridged adapter". By doing this you use your PC's network card (which you must select right below the Bridged Adapter) for your guest machine, so your guest machine forms part of the LAN and is assigned a local ip.

See the screenshots. The guest operating system I have is Monara-OS. I used to have NAT as network selection and indeed my guest IP was 10.x.x.***.
After I changed NAT to Bridged, my ip was 192.168.x.xx.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2015 3:28:31 pm

Hi madvinegar, thanks for stepping in! :D

mojolinux

Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:32:04 pm

madvinegar wrote:From the settings of your guest system go to "network" and change "NAT" to "Bridged adapter". By doing this you use your PC's network card (which you must select right below the Bridged Adapter) for your guest machine, so your guest machine forms part of the LAN and is assigned a local ip.

See the screenshots. The guest operating system I have is Monara-OS. I used to have NAT as network selection and indeed my guest IP was 10.x.x.***.
After I changed NAT to Bridged, my ip was 192.168.x.xx.

That was it! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you madvinegar!

You know, I did "mess with" those Network options in the VirtualBox Control Panel Settings at one point, but I did NOT consider "Bridged adapter" as one to try.
The other options I did try, gave me an error message that it was an incorrect setting or something like that..... so I moved on!

I love this Forum and the actual help that I receive! I never thought I would resolve this issue considering Logitech "Support" was absolutely useless.
Also, I appreciate the time Swarfendor437 has spent helping me through various other issues as well!

Next stop (possibly) *Win10* as my second VM on Zorin9. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone?

Thanks again

madvinegar

Fri Jul 31, 2015 8:15:16 pm

Glad I helped my friend.

Swarfendor437

Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:11:48 pm

A Gazillion blue jewels to madvinegar! ;)