This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[Solved] Skype Panel Indicator

crazyfunkman

Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:16:30 pm

Hello Folks,

I downloaded Core 9.1 and installed it on a 64bit HP 14-B150US Touch Smart Laptop. I let the initial update run and did my reboot. I then installed Chromium Web Browser as well as a couple other apps for graphics and multimedia. I then downloaded the DEB package for Skype directly for the Skype website. I installed Skype with GDEBI without any errors and it starts and runs just fine but was missing the panel indicator. I checked the Zorin forum as well as a couple Ubuntu forums and found a posting that was supposed to correct it. (Sorry I can't find the posting from the other forum to add here!) Once I applied the fixes my bottom panel just went nuts. No indicators at all! What a bummer!

So, my question: Is there a correct installation process for Skype within Zorin OS 9.1 Core that has the panel indicator working correctly and does not screw with the bottom panel stability? I have found a number of Skype specific install guides but none specific to Gnome and nothing for Zorin except this post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=8922&p=43374&hilit=skype#p43374

I uninstalled my Zorin install and will start a new fresh install but would like to see if I can get help with Skype prior to doing the new install. I was a Zorin Premium user and did an install a couple weeks ago and had the panel issue but didn't catch that it was most likely my playing around getting Skype to work that crashed my install back then.

Any help with this will be, as always, very much appreciated. This forum is much more helpful and not jerky (for lack of better words) like some of the other forums I've been on.

Thanks,
Tim

EDIT: I see that Zorin 10 is out which I'm downloading. Not sure if I will have issues with Skype in 10 but would like to see the replies/fixes for this post-Tim

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:02:44 pm

crazyfunkman

Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:50:28 pm

Thanks for the video Swarfendor! I did all of the steps outlined in Zorin 9 and still did not get the indicator to work. I then installed Zorin 10 Core and, again, did not get a panel indicator. I refined my searches and came up with this post from Ask Ubuntu:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/615519/i ... untu-15-04

I installed sudo apt-get install sni-qt:i386 per the post, restarted my box, opened Skype and bingo...got the indicator in the panel! Not sure if this fix will work for Zorin OS 9 Core but I may give it a try later on.

I will mark his as solved.

Thanks again!

Tim