This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Zorin 10 Core Running Slow Compared to Ubuntu 15.04

crazyfunkman

Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:45:47 pm

Hey Folks,

I downloaded and installed Zorin OS 10 Core yesterday on one of my 64 bit HP 14-B150US laptops. This one is my wife's machine. After the install and running the update manager/reboot I added a couple of apps/packages and the system has been progressively getting slower and slower. The install is running LVM and full encryption.

After install I added:

Chrome
CPU Freq Indicator (applied the Intel Pstate Disable to allow for additional CPU Frequency options)
Multiload Indicator
Nautilus Admin Actions

She does have Skype open and running a majority of the time she's on this machine but even closing it doesn't seem to help the speed. I was thinking it may have something to do with setting the CPU Freq to On-Demand but even switching t to Performance does nothing to speed up the machine and the CPU temps stick between 60-65 C.

Any advice as to what may be causing this? I'm running Ubuntu Gnome 15.04 on an identical machine and am not experiencing any performance issues since the install about 2 months ago.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 02, 2015 7:17:11 pm

Have you done a complete post installation as per Wolfman's guide (I know it is for 6 and 9 but it should still apply for 10):

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2054

crazyfunkman

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:41:57 pm

Hey Swarfendor437,

I worked through Wolfman's guide and took from it what I wanted from a tweaking perspective and applied some of the system stuff in Synaptic without making all updates and apply. I did that with my install of Zorin 9 Core a couple weeks ago and it crashed my system. In any event, I was able to jazz up my desktop and add some useful features.

Back to my original question/issue...

I got rid of Chrome as I noticed it was taking a huge amount of my 4 GB of memory between the used and cache. With Chrome open along with, say GIMP, I was running out of memory. Add the file manager on top of that and things got waaaaaaaaay slooooooooooowwwwwwwww! I have moved over to using Firefox fully and my speed issues are a ton better! I like Chrome/Chromium because of the integration aspects of apps but that is a bad trade off for me. I have Firefox outfitted with my needs from an add-on/extension point of view and am just re-learning a couple things which is cool.

In the end, what the heck, huh? Gave me a good reason to order some additional memory!

Thanks for the help! Going to mark this one off as solved but will look for any additional recommendations or fixes!

Tim

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:47:23 pm

Hi Tim,

Glad you are sorted! I am writing this from within Zorin 10 Ultimate 32-bit in live mode - it is looking good! :D

download/file.php?id=4235&mode=view

Wolfman

Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:54:03 pm

Hi CF,

always run system updates after freshly installing any version of any OS, regardless be it Linux; Windblows or MAC!. :D Do this before you tinker with anything else on the system!. :D (I know you know that, this is for others reading this thread who might not know!).

Update guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247