This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

backup

Schlagseite

Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:16:08 pm

Aloha!
I'm considering to switch to Ubuntu Studio. For safety reasons I have tried to make a backup first. The machine says: "Volume doesn't implement mount." What can I do?
Thanks and greets
R. J. Schlagseite

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:12:08 pm

Hi, I would recommend you use redobackup (http://redobackup.org). This will backup your entire drive - for example, at work I backed up a PC with Windows 7 on it which was 450 Gb in size and it made it 50 Gb. The interface is very simple to use and by the look of its inteface is based on ubunut/xubuntu? :D

Schlagseite

Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:35:58 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, I would recommend you use redobackup (http://redobackup.org). This will backup your entire drive - for example, at work I backed up a PC with Windows 7 on it which was 450 Gb in size and it made it 50 Gb. The interface is very simple to use and by the look of its inteface is based on ubunut/xubuntu? :D

Hi Swarfendor437!
I have just tried your recommendation. Download was as easy as it should be. Now the machine wants to know:

"Do you want to create a disc from contents of the image or with the image file inside?
There is only one selected file ("redobackup-livecd-1.0.4.iso"). It is the image of a disc and its content can be burned."

The there are two options: BURN AS A FILE or BURN CONTENTS...

Which one do I have to choose?
Thanks and greets
R. J. Schlagseite

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:18:34 pm

What burning software do you use and what system? If you are using Zorin, launch 'Brasero' first - I find that if you use context menu from the .iso you end up with a 'coaster' for your drinking glass!

When you launch Brasero, select 'Burn image to disk' then browse to the .iso of redobackup and drop your burn speed to lowest your burner supports. You only need a CD as it is only 225 Mb in size or thereabouts! :D

Wolfman

Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:29:34 am

Hi,

when you create a full backup (disk image), it will copy everything including the OS you are using, if you only want your data backed up, simply copy and paste all your files to a USB stick and do a clean install; otherwise you will crash your new version of Ubuntu Studio if you try and use a backup app to reset all your files!. :D