This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Single click desktop icons in OS 10

mghayes

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:48:17 pm

Hello,

I have installed OS 10, and yes, I think it is terrific too :D

One little confusion. There are posts in this forum indicating that desktop icons can be set to run applications with a single click in Nautilus preferences. Where is Nautilus in OS 10 (and how do I run it), or if Nautilus is now Files, where are the preferences I need to set?

Thanks in advance, Michael.

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:49:26 pm

Bear with - haven't got that far yet! Please stay signed in while I do a quick check! :D

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:08:42 pm

OK, couldn't find anything in Nautilus - you will have to download dconf-tools via the terminal (or try synaptic if you prefer):

Code:
sudo apt-get install dconf-editor

This places dconf-editor in System Tools - open it up and in the left pane expand org | gnome | settings-daemon | peripherals | mouse.

The default motion acceleration is set to 1.0 - there is a mention of single-click but in live mode I cant't get things to work or check if it does work. May need to do some delving! :D

35.png

mghayes

Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:29:30 pm

Many thanks for your quick response. I loaded dconf as suggested, did a search on 'mouse', went through all the options the search brought up . . . but couldn't seem to find anything that suggested launching applications with a single click :-(

Michael.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:19:44 am

Hi,

Dconf Editor > Org > Gnome > Nautilus > Preferences > Click policy > Single click:

dconf Editor_001.jpg

mghayes

Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:15:17 am

Thank you Wolfman and thank you Swarfendor437. That is just what I wanted. In case you were wondering why I wanted single click launch - I have Parkinson's and the shakes are getting to be a bit of a challenge. With any luck your excellent advice will help others with similar problems.

Cheers, Michael.

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:01:53 pm

Hi Michael, I have been looking a bit further into this and was struggling to get single-click working in dconf-editor - you may wish to open with 'hover with mouse' in 'Universal Access'.

Menu | System Tools | Preferences | Universal Access

Then click on the 'Pointing and Clicking'.
- i
Next switch on 'Hover Click' - a small window opens - select 'double-click'

I tested it in 9 but having issues getting double-click option to stick - could be because I am in 'Cairo-Dock DE' instead fo 'Zorin DE'