This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Thumbnail vie in browser "Open File" / "File Upload" window

jimmyg

Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:20:35 pm

I've seen this talked about in various forums, both the file manager (Nautilus or Dolphin) or Desktop software (Gnome or KDE) have been mentioned as the culprit. I have not found out if or how to fix it...

When I use either Firefox or Google Chrome in Zorin and do either a File > Open File or in say Facebook go to post an image (File Upload), the file window does not have the ability to show all of the files as icons (thumbnails). It requires me to click on each one in the detailed list to then see the thumbnail.

Is there a fix/tweak I can do that will allow me to see all of my files (images) in a folder as thumbnails? I know in the actual file managers you can adjust the view but nothing about the browser file open window.

Below is an example of what I'm talking about, that is Firefox in Windows

2015-08-05 14_45_55-Program Manager.png

Thank you for your assistance.

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:54:19 pm

HI jimmyg - I don't have that issue at present - are we talking Zorin 9 or 10 here? You could see how you get on with 'Thunar'?

Open a terminal (Menu | Accessories | Terminal) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get install thunar

Wolfman

Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:39:31 am

Hi,

if you open Synaptic and type "nautilus" in search, there are several small packages which might help you out, I looked in dconf editor too but can't find any settings there!. :D

"nautilus-admin" and "nautilus-actions" are two that spring to mind!. :D

Unfortunately, the version of Nautilus in Zorin OS 10 (Ubuntu 15.04) doesn't have the necessary tab called "File" (normally top left in Nautilus), from there you could normally access "Preferences", this is missing in Ubuntu too afaik!.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 06, 2015 1:29:18 pm

That is why I suggested Thunar as an alternative! ;)

Wolfman

Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:49:51 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:That is why I suggested Thunar as an alternative! ;)

Hi Swarf,

installing Thunar may well break Zorin as it depends on the Gnome base and Thunar requires you to install XFCE bits & pieces!. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 07, 2015 12:23:39 pm

I have Thunar on Zorin 9 without issue, but I don't use it that much - I'll see what packages I have got installe! ;)