This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

How to install OS9 on laptop running wINDOWS 10

taloneka

Sun Aug 09, 2015 10:31:02 pm

I recently changed from a PC to a laptop and have up graded to Windows 10.I ran Zorin 9 on my PC and have a disc that I purchased.Can I install this on my laptop.ACER Aspire E 15,Intel Celeron processor N2840,Intel HD graphics,500 GB HDD,400 Gb DDR3L Memory.Thanks.Norm

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:09:40 am

You can give it a try but there have been issues with Intel graphics lately and nothing to do with GNU/Linux! ;)

Wolfman

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:45:20 am

If the laptop has UEFI:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Make sure that you set the system (in BIOS) to boot from "Legacy" and that quickboot/secureboot are switched off!.

taloneka

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:46:41 pm

I had no luck installing 32 bit disc.Found out I needed 64 bit version so I purchased it on a live disc.Still won't install.I've read installation instructions on the UEFI forum and no matter what I try the disc will not boot up.I changed Bios to boot from CD/DVD and still no luck.I'm not a computer geek and no trouble figuring it out on my PC but this laptop has me stumped.Norm

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:52:54 pm

I'm afraid I gave you the answer in my previous posting! ;) :(

Wolfman

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32:28 am

taloneka wrote:I had no luck installing 32 bit disc.Found out I needed 64 bit version so I purchased it on a live disc.Still won't install.I've read installation instructions on the UEFI forum and no matter what I try the disc will not boot up.I changed Bios to boot from CD/DVD and still no luck.I'm not a computer geek and no trouble figuring it out on my PC but this laptop has me stumped.Norm

Hi,

have you disabled "Quickboot", "Secure Boot" and have you set your PC to boot from "Legacy First", if you leave the boot option on "Auto", it will only boot Windblows!. :D

Depending on your PC, when booting, press the key which will open BIOS (System Settings under Uefi, or something like that!), try F2, or F1 (or whatever key it may be) and read the notes on your PC from the PC's makers own website so you know how to access BIOS!.

taloneka

Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:13:29 pm

I can get as far as type of installation.I checked some other kind,went to where it shows partition and what to use for boot installer,etc.I click on install and a window pops up saying there is no root value or something like that.It says to choose from partitioning menu.Where is or what is partitioning menu.I'm running on disc right now.I really like Zorin and would like to finish install but don't know how.Thanks.taloneka

Wolfman

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:14:18 am

Hi,

if you can boot the Zorin Live CD; you are halfway there, read the following link about partitioning which should guide you through how to set-up your partitions for Linux:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2601

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4848

You will find the partitioning tool (Gparted) under: Zorin Menu > System Tools > Administration

Or you can start the install process and at the point where it asks how you want to install Zorin, you can select the size of the hard drive you want to use and it will auto-set the mount points for you!.

DO NOT DELETE THE WINDOWS 10 RECOVERY PARTITION IF YOU HAVEN'T CREATED A DISK RECOVERY SET (OR USB STICK WHICH I THINK IS THE NORM THESE DAYS!).

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:15:04 pm

Hi, I did get this working but over time I suspect WIn 10 will want to block it based on personal experience.

1. Get to file explorer in Win 10 and right-click it, select manage and then select 'Disk Management' and then right-click C: partition and then select Tools then run chkdsk, and allow to run on reboot.

2. After chkdsk and reboot into Windows 10 and run Defrag on C:

3. Download EasyBCD from NeoSmart.com but don't install yet.

4. Now boot with your Zorin DVD. Boot to live environment, enter 'gparted' in Win 7 like search bar in Menu and launch it - in fact before steps 1-3 do this first and see how many partitions are marked as 'Primary' - if there are 4 you won't be able to install Zorin!

taloneka

Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:09:28 pm

Just to say thanks for all the advice.I finally did what I should have done in the first place.Removed Windows and installed Zorin by it self.No more Windows for me.Thanks again.Taloneka

taloneka

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:07:58 pm

Now I discovered system won't restart or shut down.Goes to a blue screen and stays there.Only way laptop will shut down is by closing cover.Any ideas why?taloneka

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:15:04 pm

Right, I suspect this well may be a 'power-saving issue' have you tried the advice given here?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=9642#p47630

Also have you made sure that 'legacy' mode is enabled in the BIOS? and 'Fast Boot' disabled? :D

Wolfman

Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:07:58 pm

Hi,

run "DPKG" per the update guide and see if that helps:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

A NETWORK CABLE CONNECTION IS REQUIRED FOR THE ABOVE TO WORK!.