This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[CLOSED] black screen on zorin 6.4

muskieslime

Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:17:35 pm

I know I need to update, I've had some health issues and just haven't got it done yet. I was watching a TV show earlier today online and my screen went black. I thought my monitor was napping so I shook the mouse and saw the cursor moving around on the black screen. I could still hear the show playing. I thought a reboot my fix it but nogo! it got to the "Z" screen with the wheels turning and went black again. I tried a few different distros on live dvd and they boot and work ok including 6.4. I tried the dvd with zorin 9 and it did the same thing as booting from HDD (black screen). I'm not sure if they're related but a few days ago that PC stopped seeing my samsung phone when I plug it in the charge/sync and the phone shifted charging not charging making an annoying ding every time it switched. It booted live to zorin 6.4, tails 2.01, robolinux 8.1, zenlive 7.4, ubuntu 12.04 with no black screen. like I said zorin 9 dvd went black in the same place booting from hdd did. I had tested that dvd after burning it a while back and it did boot then. Everything had been working fine with zorin for a couple years now until today, recon I shouldn't have been cheating with other distros!!! I made her mad and she cut me off. Any help in getting going again will be greatly appriciated .

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:12:28 am

OK how old is the machine and what are its specifications? :D

muskieslime

Mon Aug 10, 2015 12:29:52 pm

it is a dell dimension 4600 pentium (R) 4 2.66 Ghz,, 2.5 GB Ram, Gallium 0.4 on NV34 Graphics

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:48:09 pm

and it's age? :D

Wolfman

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:41:54 am

Hi,

run a full system update per this guide:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:12:10 am

OK, did you install any proprietary drivers recently or made any changes to any of the settings? My best advice to you is to boot into a live system that works, back up all your data and start afresh. ;) :D

Wolfman

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:35:41 am

Hi,

if you have an Nvidia graphics card:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2490

The very first part should be enough for you!. :D

muskieslime

Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:14:29 am

I got tired of messing with it and reinstall 6.4 and everything is working fine again. Really cant figure out why other distros and newer zorin wouldn't run right but the same dvd I originally installed from worked. I guess it was something in an update this thing choked on. Updates are the only changes made recently and I dont remember any of those for a few days pryer to the black out.
Thanks for your help guys

Wolfman

Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:09:21 am

Hi,

have marked as closed!. :D

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:53:41 am

Hi, finally just to add that due to the age of your machine or other hardware components, there might have been an issue with a kernel update - you can always go back to an earlier kernel but not earlier than the one released with the initial install as it might break the OS.

Just be reminded of the glibc security issue using Zorin 6.4! ;)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9267

muskieslime

Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:20:45 pm

I was thinking it may have been a kernel thing. some of the last updates before it crashed were kernel related and the newer os dvd's did the same thing. just odd they would boot live ok before this happened. I'm going to check them today and see if they will boot. just needed sleep more last night