This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Software Update vs. Synaptic

crazyfunkman

Mon Aug 10, 2015 4:42:31 am

This is a question that I have pondered for a while and after searching online for an answer I really didn't get an answer...

I understand the difference between Software Update (like in Ubuntu, Zorin, and Mint) types of apps and also Synaptic. I generally use Synaptic as a rule for installing new packages but not to update my system. I notice that when I install packages with Synaptic, there are packages that are held back and not upgraded unless I was to mark the updates. When I run the Software Update utility it says my computer is up to date.

Why does Software Update not update and install the packages that Synaptic sees as up-gradable? I'm guessing it has something to do with the type of package it is or something with the repositories but can't figure it out.

Is there a quick explanation?

Thanks,
Tim

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:16:29 am

Something on the lines of none approved ppa's might be your answer, in which case the best way is via the terminal:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

Wolfman

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:51:07 am

crazyfunkman wrote:This is a question that I have pondered for a while and after searching online for an answer I really didn't get an answer...

I understand the difference between Software Update (like in Ubuntu, Zorin, and Mint) types of apps and also Synaptic. I generally use Synaptic as a rule for installing new packages but not to update my system. I notice that when I install packages with Synaptic, there are packages that are held back and not upgraded unless I was to mark the updates. When I run the Software Update utility it says my computer is up to date.

Why does Software Update not update and install the packages that Synaptic sees as up-gradable? I'm guessing it has something to do with the type of package it is or something with the repositories but can't figure it out.

Is there a quick explanation?

Thanks,
Tim

Hi Tim,

if you open Synaptic and then on "Reload", you must also make sure you click on "Mark all upgrades" otherwise they will be ignored!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:24:27 am

Also make sure that your sources are set to 'Main Server' (Menu | System Tools | Administration | Software updater - Settings button - then first tab):

27.png