This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Additional Driver Question

crazyfunkman

Tue Aug 11, 2015 5:43:00 pm

Hey Folks! Hope this post finds you well today!

Question: I was working in the Software and Updates utility today and looked at the Additional Drivers tab and noticed there seems to be an additional driver available for what I think is my processor. I attached a shot of the window as it appears to me.

Selection_001.png

I have a good understanding as to what firmware is but not sure what microcode firmware is and whether or not I should select it and apply the changes. Can someone give me a short education and should I be using it?

As a side note, I'm using Zorin 10 Core and it has been running flawlessly except during file moves from say my HD to USB and vice-versa. The machine slows down to a crawl with only Firefox open while file transfers are happening.

Thanks again in advance for the help!!!
Tim

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:28:51 pm

Hi That is a new one on me and I don't feel confident in aswering the question - please be patient! :D

crazyfunkman

Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:34:04 pm

Hey Swarf!

Thanks again for the quick and honest answer! I, too, have never seen it. Let's see if anyone has....

Have a good one,
Tim

Wolfman

Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:21:23 am

Hi Tim,

I have something similar on my HP Compaq but I have never installed the package and my system runs fine, I would leave it alone if everything is running fine as I haven't installed the package on mine:

Software & Updates_009.jpg

I assume that it has something to do with the CPU but I'm not sure!. :D

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:47:51 am

I found this for you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2273643

Useful guide in there how to remove it and the old adage definietely applies here: "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!" ;) :D

crazyfunkman

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:09:56 am

Hey Swarf,

I just found you had replied a couple times to this post. Sorry for a delay in response/acknowledgement! I read the link you had and as you said...it ain't broke so I ain't gonna fix it or try to fix it!

Thanks,
Tim