This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[RESOLVED] Just upgraded and the menu icon has disappeared

tomp01

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52:24 am

I just upgraded to 15.04 Vivid Vervet and suddenly my menu icon has been removed and clicking does nothing. So what do I have to do to get it back? Also some of my icons in the system panel no longer work including terminal.

tomp01

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:18:29 am

Ok, I can get Terminal by right clicking on the Desktop. So that's one thing less to do, what's next??

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:04:13 am

Hi, if you have installed Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) you need to post that question here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/ :D

tomp01

Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:36:44 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, if you have installed Ubuntu 15.04 (Vivid Vervet) you need to post that question here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/ :D

Yes, I have just upgraded Zorin 9 to Vivid Vervet, it is now Zorin 10!! I got a message saying that support for 14.10 was now over and did I want to upgrade. I have to say that Zorin 9 has mostly been pain free but Zorin 10 is making up for that!! Not sure why you thought I was talking about Ubuntu rather than Zorin? I have been a member here for a while, that I don't post more is due to the lack of problems in the past.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:55:22 pm

Hi, Apologies, but because you were using 'Ubuntu speak' that is why I questioned your posting! Surprised that Zorin 9 has come up with that option - mine hasn't - can you please check your 'Settings' in Software Updater? Update to the latest version of Ubuntu should be set to 'Never'. :D

tomp01

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:52:46 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, Apologies, but because you were using 'Ubuntu speak' that is why I questioned your posting! Surprised that Zorin 9 has come up with that option - mine hasn't - can you please check your 'Settings' in Software Updater? Update to the latest version of Ubuntu should be set to 'Never'. :D

Irrespective whether it should have happened it has and I just want to know how to restore the menu icon on the extreme LHS of the panel. I can now get a menu icon but it goes on the extreme RHS and I end up witn three of them!! I have a feeling that a clean install may be the only answer!

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2015 9:58:18 pm

Hi, right-click the Panel to launch 'Preferences' then go to the 'applets' tab - look at the 'replica' panel at the bottom - scroll to the far right and then select the furthest menu applet then either drag to the main window or click on the 'up' arrow above the replica panel to remove it - do the same with the next one. Then with what you have left, physically hold down the left-mouse key after selecting and drag to the far left, then close the preferences. :D

If there are signs of any other misbehaviours then I would back up all data and start afresh, making sure that check for newest Ubuntu is set to Never, which is normally the default since Zorin 9 upwards! ;) :D

tomp01

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:06:40 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, right-click the Panel to launch 'Preferences' then go to the 'applets' tab - look at the 'replica' panel at the bottom - scroll to the far right and then select the furthest menu applet then either drag to the main window or click on the 'up' arrow above the replica panel to remove it - do the same with the next one. Then with what you have left, physically hold down the left-mouse key after selecting and drag to the far left, then close the preferences. :D

If there are signs of any other misbehaviours then I would back up all data and start afresh, making sure that check for newest Ubuntu is set to Never, which is normally the default since Zorin 9 upwards! ;) :D

Ok I get that but tell me how I can re-enable the menu icon on the LHS of the panel and I will be happy.

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:08:13 pm

Hi, that last icon that is a menu, can you drag it across to the right? Alternatively, look in the Applets list and look for 'ZorinMenu' and either drag it down to the replica panel or click on the down arrow but if you do the latter it will place it on the far-right! ;) :D

If still having issues, from a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) enter:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

Wolfman

Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:31:38 am

Hi,

Re-install AWN:

if your AWN panel is screwed up a little, open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-navigator && sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

This should remove and reinstall AWN to a bog standard new one.

You should restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del; then log out and Restart and see if it fixes the problem!. :D

tomp01

Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:15:19 am

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Re-install AWN:

if your AWN panel is screwed up a little, open a terminal with Ctrl + Alt + t and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge avant-window-navigator && sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator

You should restart with Ctrl + Alt + Del; then log out and Restart and see if it fixes the problem!. :D

I tried that and got the message Package 'avant-window-navigator' has no installation candidate

Wolfman

Fri Aug 14, 2015 12:28:28 pm

Hi,

check your software sources settings against the update guide and try again, the command is valid!:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:58:14 pm

Hi, I think what would really help is a screenshot so we can see your current desktop layout. :D

tomp01

Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:02:15 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

Re-install AWN:

Code:

I tried that and ended up with a message saying that there was no installation candidate for AWN. Anyhow I decided to download Zorin 9 Ultimate 64 bit and it is all working hunky dory now.

Wolfman

Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:56:49 pm

Okay, have marked as solved!. :D