This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Cannot access the Software Updater "Settings"

nonso392

Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:56:41 pm

I completely UNinstalled LibreOffice and now I cannot access the Software Updater "Settings" with my password. It just ignores my password with no other information.

Thanks in advance!

T

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:30:36 pm

Hi, try this. Open a Terminal (Ctrl+ Alt+ T) and enter:

Code:
sudo apt-get update -f

and after it has completed:

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

nonso392

Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:54:08 am

Thanks Swarfendor437! However, after entering "sudo apt-get update -f" I get the following message:

E: Command line option 'f' [from -f] is not known.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks, T

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:39:27 am

Sorry, my bad -f is only to force dist-upgrade in this instance! :oops:

What happens when you run Synaptic, select 'Mark All Upgrades' and then select 'Apply'?

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager

Wolfman

Sat Aug 15, 2015 8:51:25 am

nonso392 wrote:I completely UNinstalled LibreOffice and now I cannot access the Software Updater "Settings" with my password. It just ignores my password with no other information.

Thanks in advance!

T

Hi,

are you trying to do this as "Guest"?. You must be admin to run the updater!. (Basically logged in as the normal user by name!).

Run the following terminal command (Ctrl + Alt + t) followed by the 2nd command:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

(if you want Libreoffice again)

Code:
sudo apt-get install libreoffice

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Let us know if this helps. :D

nonso392

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:10:09 pm

Thanks guys, I tried both suggestions and neither worked for me. I will read further on help link you provided and hope I get lucky. By the way, I AM the administrator and use that to log into the updater and terminal. Here are my results in terminal:

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
mint-themes-gtk3 mint-x-icons
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
lundax93@lundax93-Insp660s:~$

Regards, T

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 15, 2015 6:49:21 pm

Hi, I noticed that 'mint themes' were mentioned when you ran the terminal commands - now Mint is not a package that would normally install to Zorin! ;)

I would play safe and perhaps do a fresh install if you don't get much further - if you have any book marks or other settings, be sure to press Ctrl+ H to show hidden files in your /home folder before backing all your /home up.

For future reference the best way to remove LibreOffice via the terminal would be:

Code:
sudo apt-get purge libre-office
- this will remove all reference to libre-office packages - autoremove only removes what is installed and not any files used to install/configure! ;)

nonso392

Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:06:09 pm

Swarfendor437,

thanks for all your help, at some point I had also installed mintstick and had referenced an online review to do so. I did modifly one entry (changed qiana to rafaela) to be able to install the current usb imagewriter/formatter version. They also appear to work! Is there possibly a back door to access the repository so that I can reset it to default?

Taken from a Peppermint 5 Linux review:

$ sudo sh -c 'echo "deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ rafaela main" >> /etc/apt/sources.list.d/mint.list'
$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install linuxmint-keyring
$ sudo apt-get install mintstick

Thanks,
T

Wolfman

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:52:59 am

nonso392 wrote:Thanks guys, I tried both suggestions and neither worked for me. I will read further on help link you provided and hope I get lucky. By the way, I AM the administrator and use that to log into the updater and terminal. Here are my results in terminal:

Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
mint-themes-gtk3 mint-x-icons
Use 'apt-get autoremove' to remove them.
Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
lundax93@lundax93-Insp660s:~$

Regards, T

Hi T,

according to your post, there are no more updates as your system is up-to-date, this is wholly dependent on how you have your software sources set, read the update guide link section covering that topic and let us know what if any changes you make please!. :D

Swarfendor437

Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:24:40 pm

Hi, just a reminder, and from personal experience, Software Updater is dependent upon:

1. Canonical (Zorin?) approved software partners

2. ppa's

If the ppa is not in the main server repository you will get update errors - whilst it can be a pain to use the terminal for people who prefer a graphical user interface it is the best way to deal with issues:

Code:
sudo apt-get update

then

Code:
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

I had to do this after installing MultiSystem - you would be far better off using that than MintStick! :D

nonso392

Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:28:53 pm

Swarfendor437,

Thanks again for all your input, the updating seems to be working fine, however, what does not work is ACCESS to the settings within the updater. As I mentioned when using my password to access settings, it just sits there. I may eventually reinstall or continue experimenting with Zorin 10 core as I've done so far. I normally use PPA's, as for LibreOffice...the reason I uninstalled it (but did reinstall) was because the right side panel was not rendering the icons properly AND also wanted the newest version.

Regards, T

Wolfman

Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:59:11 am

Hi,

there is more than one updater settings manager, open System Settings > System > Software & Updates and this window will open:

Software & Updates_015.jpg

If you try using "Software Updater" which shows this window, you cannot make any changes unless you click on the "Settings" button:

Software Updater_016.jpg

You can also access the update settings via Synaptic > Settings > Repositories and make changes there!. :D

See also:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

Swarfendor437

Mon Aug 17, 2015 7:58:29 am

nonso392 wrote:Swarfendor437,

Thanks again for all your input, the updating seems to be working fine, however, what does not work is ACCESS to the settings within the updater. As I mentioned when using my password to access settings, it just sits there. I may eventually reinstall or continue experimenting with Zorin 10 core as I've done so far. I normally use PPA's, as for LibreOffice...the reason I uninstalled it (but did reinstall) was because the right side panel was not rendering the icons properly AND also wanted the newest version.

Regards, T

Hi, the reason why the version of LibreOffice ships with the version it does will be down (I speculate but may be right!) is that it will be the most stable version that matches the kernel at release point - as updates filter through in all areas you should eventually get to the newest version in due course. You may also want to take a look at wps office but only install from the repositories, not the kingsoft office forum as that will break your updates! ;)

nonso392

Wed Aug 19, 2015 12:19:43 am

WOW, THANKS GUYS! you have been fantastic at getting back to me...I appreciate ALL your help!!!

Best Regards,
T

Wolfman

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:01:01 am

Hi T,

is this solved now?. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:32:30 pm

Hi Wolfman, didn't look at your post closely enough - you missed the 'Settings' button which is where you can make changes! :wink: :smile:

Wolfman

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:30:00 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi Wolfman, didn't look at your post closely enough - you missed the 'Settings' button which is where you can make changes! :wink: :smile:

Thanks Swarf, you are right, I didn't even think of clicking on the button; opps!. :D (I have edited my previous post to reflect that; thanks!)