This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

NEW Thunderbird Account

mdiemer

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:56:40 am

What if I want to ditch my Windows Live/Outlook.com account? Can I just create a new Thunderbird account? I currently have two TB emails, one linked to Outlook and one linked to OTT Communications. I sometimes have trouble receiving emails on the OTT account, which is why I set up the Outlook account. But I want a complete divorce from Microsoft, due to their new (lack of) Privacy Policy. I would like to take that account and migrate it to a new one that is not Microsoft or OTT. Is this possible, and how would I do it? I know it has to be tied to a server.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:03:40 am

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:37:46 pm

Basically, get yourself an email account with your ISP (but if this is OTT don't!). The best alternative is to get yourself a 'minimalist' website that comes with x number of email addresses - the only issue for me is that it is only accessible via the host companies website - but at least your emails would be more secure as with such a setup you can use non-standard characters in the password - something that ISP's don't allow and one of the principle reasons that users get their emails hacked! ;)

Once you have your new email address set up, in your Outlook and other e-mail account you mentioned, enter the settings and in the 'Reply to' field, put your new email address - so that when receivers receive an email from your Outlook address and they reply to it it will (should!) be sent to your new address - test it with one of your friends, colleagues first - then send a blanket email to all your contacts - you don't have to state in the email what your new email is - just ask them to reply to the one you have sent to ensure the settings are working! ;)

mdiemer

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:40:17 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

try this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/outl ... 8e3?auth=1

I don't want it linked to Outlook as that means Microsoft. How about Gandi? Is this outfit trustworthy?

mdiemer

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:46:15 pm

One alternative I'm considering: Keep the Outlook.com account, but only use it in those instances where my OTT account gives me trouble (won't accept messages from a certain sender). For example, it wouldn't accept messages from Box.com. So I opened the Outlook account. This allowed me to set up a Box. com account. But I can now change my email with Box back to OTT. I'm also going to check into Opera.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:49:54 pm

Hi,

sorry but I misread your post, I have been using Yahoo Mail for years and it works with Thunderbird no problem!. :D

mdiemer

Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:36:07 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Basically, get yourself an email account with your ISP (but if this is OTT don't!). The best alternative is to get yourself a 'minimalist' website that comes with x number of email addresses - the only issue for me is that it is only accessible via the host companies website - but at least your emails would be more secure as with such a setup you can use non-standard characters in the password - something that ISP's don't allow and one of the principle reasons that users get their emails hacked! ;)

Once you have your new email address set up, in your Outlook and other e-mail account you mentioned, enter the settings and in the 'Reply to' field, put your new email address - so that when receivers receive an email from your Outlook address and they reply to it it will (should!) be sent to your new address - test it with one of your friends, colleagues first - then send a blanket email to all your contacts - you don't have to state in the email what your new email is - just ask them to reply to the one you have sent to ensure the settings are working! ;)

1.Are you saying that OTT is not safe? I already have an email with them, through Windows Mail (on Vista). I am accessing that account in Thunderbird on Zorin.
2. Re: mimimalist website: Do you know anything about Gandi? Is this outfit safe and reputable?

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:47:19 pm

Hi, well when I set up my email account in Thunderbird on Zorin and it runs that test to see if everything is OK I get a warning about not using secured email - which is what most of the ISP's here in the UK are like - vis-a-vis an unsecured password where as my website email addresses are secure.

I have no knowledge of Gandi I am afraid! :D

crazyfunkman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:26:50 pm

Not sure if this is of any help but let's see...

I used to have a webmail account and switched to Proton Mail (www.protonmail.ch) as I wanted an end-to-end encrypted email account. I still use gmail for general stuff but proton for personal/sensitive stuff. With my old webmail provider I set up an automatic forward to my Proton mail and used that to migrate to either gmail or proton mail. It took some time but once I replied to emails from proton mail and changed my preferences with mailing lists/website and the such I was free of my old webmail account.

Again, not sure if this helps. I've never heard of OTT or the other service.

Tim

mdiemer

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:43:50 pm

Wow, Proton Mail looks awesome, thanks funkman! They are currently full, however, but I reserved a slot when they have an opening.
As for OTT, it's my local ISP. they are a small phone company, basically.

mdiemer

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:45:55 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, well when I set up my email account in Thunderbird on Zorin and it runs that test to see if everything is OK I get a warning about not using secured email - which is what most of the ISP's here in the UK are like - vis-a-vis an unsecured password where as my website email addresses are secure.

I have no knowledge of Gandi I am afraid! :D

Well, I don't get any warnings so hopefully that means all is well!

crazyfunkman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58:28 pm

The smaller ISP's can be great so far as security and the such. Before we moved I used a smaller phone company for my ISP and was really impressed. Their Customer Service and Support was top-notch but with our move I changed to Proton mail. A word of warning...it may take some time to hear back from Proton but it will be worth it.

Tim

mdiemer

Wed Aug 19, 2015 1:34:22 am

I tried downloading Proton (love that name), they told me it was full but let me reserve a slot. I did so and got quick confirmation. So I just have to wait awhile. My plan then will be to keep my OTT account, but ditch the Outlook in favor of Proton. Then, it's Bye Bye Microsoft Account.

Swarfendor437

Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:03:14 am

Well Proton has been hacked!:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/07/07/protonmail_fail_javascript/

Somebody has reported this:

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpos ... stcount=11

but not provided evidence - yet! ;)

mdiemer

Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:12:20 pm

I know about the hack. Their server was down over the past week. One day I could log in, the next no go. They sent everyone an email about it. It appears to be under control. It's not surprising to me that this might happen. They would be an irresistible target for hackers. hopefully, it makes them stronger. If not, I don't know what I'll do. I closed my Outlook account because of privacy concerns. I don't like Yahoo, Google or any others. I had My Way for a while, but then I heard they were not very secure, and may in fact be adware. My account with my internet provider has problems of its own. We'll see what happens.