This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Login Loop

alexanderrz

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:58:24 am

Hello
First of all, i want to say a BIG THANK YOU for this amazing OS.
So, yesterday i bought the premium edition of Zorin 10. I installed with no problem, updated and installed the fglrx drivers, everything was working perfect. This morning new updates where released (60mb or something if i remember right) and i installed the new updates.
After installation, i restarted my pc, it booted to the login screen (even though i set to automatically login) and when i input my credentials the login went into a loop, again and again. Guest session does same, switching to other enviroment does same, can't enter the shell CTRL+ALT+F1(screen goes black)
I reinstalled the system and the same thing happened if i update the system.
For the moment i'm using the system with no updates (i really really wanna use Zorin as a standalone system ) until i can find a fix for this problem.
I will try to install the updates one by one to see where is the problem.
If someone knows a fix for this please let me know!
Again, thank you for this amazing OS.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:02:36 am

Hi,

check your software settings against the update guide and see what differences you may or may not have:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2247

alexanderrz

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:12:14 am

I found one update that is broking my login
In the picture below, Security updates. If chose ZORIN OS base, after i install them and restart the login will go into loop. if i install the security updates without Zorin OS base, the login is ok.

[url]Image[/url]

alexanderrz

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:16:28 am

I will do the updates one category by another to see if it is another update that will give me error.

alexanderrz

Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:27:48 am

Ok, so all updates are ok except this one ( in my case)
[url]Image[/url]

I'm not sure which has a conflict with my computer, but if install updates from this category my computer will loop at login.

Wolfman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:28:38 pm

Hi,

firstly, make sure your download from setting is set to "Main", change it if necessary, then paste the follwing two commands in a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and restart your PC after running the commands:

Code:
sudo dpkg --configure -a

then:

Code:
sudo apt-get install -f

If you have no problem with looping, do the 3rd command below and restart again:

Code:
sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -f

If you have a problem after that, at the GRUB menu, select the 2nd option (Advanced options for Zorin) and then "Previous Kernels" and select a different kernel and see if you can boot via a previous kernel!.

Did you follow this advice when creating your boot media?:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4771

If you didn't, this could well be the cause of the problem?. :D

alexanderrz

Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:23:45 pm

Hi, i will try your method, as for my boot media, i used a USB using UNETBOTIN, formated the USB just before creating the media.