This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Mouse Cursor Size/Theme in Zorin 10?

LaneLester

Tue Aug 18, 2015 1:44:10 pm

Because of my eyesight I need a larger, more visible mouse cursor. In Windows and in KDE there are settings available for this, but I cannot find them in Zorin 10. I did a Search and saw to install dconf-editor to at least change the size. I changed the number from 24 to 48, but the change did not take effect.

How can I get a cursor that's easy for me to see?

Lane

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:51:43 pm

Hi Lane,

Please do a search for Comix Cursors using 'synaptic package manager'

Menu | System Tools | Administration | Synaptic Package Manager

Or look for large mouse schem on gnome-look.org

The only downside is that the mouse only appears big in the active window you are working on e.g., Firefox Browser, and as soon as you move off it becomes the small item again.

Keep us posted! :D

Wolfman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:58:42 pm

Hi Lane,

install the chameleon cursor package as it has very large settings to choose from!. Open a terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) and paste the following command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install chameleon-cursor-theme

LaneLester

Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:16:44 pm

Thanks for the tips, guys.

I did notice my setting for cursor size took effect only in the active window, but I felt there should be some way to change the size everywhere.

I installed the Chameleon theme, but for the life of me, I can't find where I can access the cursors it provides.

I've been using Linux for years, but Zorin is making feel like a newbie. I've been mostly using KDE for my DE.

Lane

Wolfman

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:25:36 am

Hi,

install the following package via the terminal (Ctrl + Alt + t) if not already installed:

Code:
sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool

Once installed you will find it under: Zorin Menu > System Tools > Preferences > Tweak Tool > Appearance > Cursor and you can make your changes using that!.

gnome-tweak-tool_020.jpg

bigonegotaway2

Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:16:28 pm

LaneLester wrote:Thanks for the tips, guys.

I did notice my setting for cursor size took effect only in the active window, but I felt there should be some way to change the size everywhere.

I installed the Chameleon theme, but for the life of me, I can't find where I can access the cursors it provides.

I've been using Linux for years, but Zorin is making feel like a newbie. I've been mostly using KDE for my DE.

Lane

Here's what I did to make my cursor large enough for me to see:

1. Install dconf-tools from the software repository.

2. Open a terminal and type ~/.Xresources and hit enter. Be sure to make the "X" a capital and don't forget the tilde before / and . after the /

3. In the file that now opens up type-

Xcursor.size 32
Could also use 16, 32, 48, or 64

Now save and close this file.

4. Now got to Dconf-Editor (under system tools) and navigate to Org > Desktop > Interface > Cursor Size
Change cursor size to match size selected above. 32 is about right for me. The size entered here in Dconf is just for information and
will not change the cursor size. That will need to be done using the Xcursor size file in the above instructions.

5. Now just reboot your system and enjoy a more visible cursor!

By the way Lane this method will maintain the cursor size in all windows and apps until you make another change! This method of cursor sizing has for me worked on several flavors of distros based on the Ubuntu platform.

LaneLester

Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:50:28 pm

Thanks for describing that procedure. I confess that I am not dedicated to any particular distro. I decided that Zorin is an excellent choice for someone moving from Windows, but it's not for me. I'm currently running Sparky Linux and Debian/Openbox. I'm going to save your instructions to use in other distros.

Lane

Wolfman

Fri Oct 09, 2015 2:51:44 am

Good luck with Sparky Lane!. :D Have marked as solved!. :D