This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

Deidcated Zorin Drive?

mdiemer

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:52:58 pm

Would it be best to have Zorin on its own hard drive? I can do that as I have three drives in my computer. Currently I have it on the original, 6 year-old drive, which also has Windows Seven on it (and has some problems). I'm thinking of getting Zorin Ultimate, and putting it on one of the other drives all by itself. I want it to be as comfortable as possible! Would it run better on its own drive?

Anonymous

Tue Aug 18, 2015 9:59:33 pm

mdiemer > Yes....It's always good practice to have separate hard drives.

crazyfunkman

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:06:28 pm

I'm not sure if it running on it's own drive work make it run especially better but there are advantages I'm sure. One advantage in my case is full hard drive encryption. I'm kind of a nut when it comes to privacy and security so all three laptops in the house are fully encrypted via the installation process. My desktop machine has two drives. One has Zorin 9 Premium with full encryption and the second I use to play with other Linux distros from time to time and my wife uses it (with Zorin 9 core) to work with photos which she backs up to a cloud with megasync. If someone was to break in and make off with any of the machines, the full encryption would make it relatively tough to get anything off the machines.

You would get quicker boot times into Zorin if it's the sole OS on the drive I would think....

Tim

Swarfendor437

Tue Aug 18, 2015 10:16:22 pm

And with the advent of Windows 10 it won't be possible - period:

http://www.gev.com/2015/03/windows-10-m ... dual-boot/

mdiemer

Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:53:58 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:And with the advent of Windows 10 it won't be possible - period:

No problem there, I won't be upgrading to Windows Ten, even though I qualify for the "free" upgrade.

Wolfman

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:35:36 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:And with the advent of Windows 10 it won't be possible - period:

They will find themselves in a world of hurt within the EU as they will be fined by the Monopolies Commission again!. :D

Wolfman

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:36:43 am

mdiemer wrote:

No problem there, I won't be upgrading to Windows Ten, even though I qualify for the "free" upgrade.

I did the upgrade on 2 PC's but don't have UEFI on either and they boot fine!. :D

Swarfendor437

Wed Aug 19, 2015 7:45:08 pm

I'm not going to go with the free upgrade as it won't support bluray drives but I may take advantage through work for £9 and keep it on a hot bay drive but it will mean booting to BIOS each time to disable the other drives - I don't want my GNU/Linux OS's screwed! :wink: :grin:

Wolfman

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:37:31 am

mdiemer wrote:Would it be best to have Zorin on its own hard drive? I can do that as I have three drives in my computer. Currently I have it on the original, 6 year-old drive, which also has Windows Seven on it (and has some problems). I'm thinking of getting Zorin Ultimate, and putting it on one of the other drives all by itself. I want it to be as comfortable as possible! Would it run better on its own drive?

Hi,

just to point out that you must make sure that you place the bootloader on the master HDD; regardless of which drive you use for Zorin!, the bootloader should be placed on /dev/sda/ !. :D

mdiemer

Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:41:51 pm

Wolfman wrote:
mdiemer wrote:Would it be best to have Zorin on its own hard drive? I can do that as I have three drives in my computer. Currently I have it on the original, 6 year-old drive, which also has Windows Seven on it (and has some problems). I'm thinking of getting Zorin Ultimate, and putting it on one of the other drives all by itself. I want it to be as comfortable as possible! Would it run better on its own drive?

Hi,

just to point out that you must make sure that you place the bootloader on the master HDD; regardless of which drive you use for Zorin!, the bootloader should be placed on /dev/sda/ !. :D

Thanks for that info, Wolfman. In my ignorance I must ask, what is the master HDD? The one set to boot in Boot Menu?

Swarfendor437

Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:52:54 pm

Master relates to PATA cables. If your current HDD is going to be Windows then this would show up in Gparted as sda; your new drive for Zorin will be sdb. I would put EasyBCD on your windows drive and add entry for Zorin so your Windows mbr won't get trashed.

mdiemer

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:21:32 pm

Swarfendor437 wrote:Master relates to PATA cables. If your current HDD is going to be Windows then this would show up in Gparted as sda; your new drive for Zorin will be sdb. I would put EasyBCD on your windows drive and add entry for Zorin so your Windows mbr won't get trashed.

I do have Easy BCD on my Windows drives. Here's my setup:

Original WD drive: Windows 7 and Zorin 9.
Other WD drive: Windows 7
Seagate drive: Vista

I have no booting problems. I have it set to boot to the Zorin drive, and I get the Linux boot manager. I can go to the bottom if I want to boot Windows 7. I put W7 on the other drive because the original drive had issues, but I seem to have stabilized it.

My plan: Put Zorin on the "other WD drive." I don't need two copies of Windows 7. Then have that be the boot drive, so I can boot directly to Zorin.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:43:47 am

OK, so what you need to do is once you have removed the drive that you no longer want, take a look at partition editor after installing the new drive so you can establish which is sda and which is sdb, then take it from there. ;)