This is a static archive of the old Zorin Forum.

The information below may be outdated. Visit the new Zorin Forum here ›

If you have registered on the old forum, you will need to create an account on the new forum.

[SOLVED] Pc booting issues

PurpleShyGuy

Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:08:19 pm

So, I have this issue and I couldn't provide screen shots so I'll try to explain as best as I can.

I cannot get my pc to boot properly. Here's what I mean. When I finished my installation and rebooted my monitors went into sleep mode. After some googling, I found that editing the grub file by using "gksudo gedit /etc/default/grub" so that "nomodeset" appears after "quiet splash", then using "sudo update-grub" fixes that issue. However, when I do so, upon rebooting, I get stuck on the encryption key screen in which I'm unable to enter my key. The small bar for entering the key appears, but no input is taken.

I'd like to point out that my keyboard and mouse worked perfectly during the installation so I'm not sure why I cannot enter the key. I have not installed any video drivers as of yet, just the regular updates provided by the update manager. I've done a re-installation in case there was an issue, but I still have the same problems. I've also re-created the live USB. I can force myself into the OS by simply cold booting as the monitors go to sleep, then a menu pulls up that allows me to start as normal, but I'd rather not do that each time I restart.

Some system information:

~ Zorin OS 10 - Core
~ Radeon HD 7770 Ghz edition
~ UEFI Bios (legacy is supported)
~ No Home Encryption, I read that it causes some issues when installation the OS

I would greatly appreciate assistance! If you need any additional information I will happily provide it! As of now, I'm leaving my desktop alone to prevent further issues from occurring.

Wolfman

Thu Aug 20, 2015 8:33:36 am

Hi,

try running DPKG per the update guide and see if that fixes the problem:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

A NETWORK CABLE CONNECTION IS REQUIRED (NOT WIFI). !.

PurpleShyGuy

Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:12:18 pm

Wolfman wrote:Hi,

try running DPKG per the update guide and see if that fixes the problem:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2247

A NETWORK CABLE CONNECTION IS REQUIRED (NOT WIFI). !.

My apologies for the late response! I did as requested, and there has been no change.

Swarfendor437

Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:58:33 pm

Hi,

Just looked at your OP again and you mention 'encryption key' - this could be your problem - you should encrypt your partitions AFTER installing, not during! ;) :D

PurpleShyGuy

Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:26:40 am

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi,

Just looked at your OP again and you mention 'encryption key' - this could be your problem - you should encrypt your partitions AFTER installing, not during! ;) :D

I see, if that's the case, is it possible to simply remove the encryption? Or would I have to reinstall? It's strange that that could be the culprit, even when I get to the encryption screen, it just freezes, so wouldn't doing so after the installation cause the same issue?

Wolfman

Sat Aug 22, 2015 5:13:37 am

Hi,

are you logging in as "Guest" or normal user?.

Did you boot using "nomodeset"?, if you did, you must edit Grub and remove the line that contains "nomodeset" and then run:

Code:
sudo update-grub

and then restart!.

See the following about removing encryption if that is causing the problem:

http://www.howtogeek.com/116179/how-to- ... ng-ubuntu/

Swarfendor437

Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:05:06 am

Hi, if you did encrypt during install and you don't have too much data I would be tempted to do a reinstall. I personally avoid encryption. Years ago at work I set up an encrypted Data partition, WindowsXP crashed and on reinstall data could not be retrieved. Interestingly with my experience of installing Open SuSE 9.3 Pro which warns of data loss if encryption used!

PurpleShyGuy

Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:16:08 pm

are you logging in as "Guest" or normal user?.

Did you boot using "nomodeset"?, if you did, you must edit Grub and remove the line that contains "nomodeset" and then run:

Code:
sudo update-grub

and then restart!.

See the following about removing encryption if that is causing the problem:

http://www.howtogeek.com/116179/how-to- ... ng-ubuntu/

A normal user. I did boot using "nomodeset" and I did update grub both times I enabled/disabled it. My home folder is also not encrypted, just the disk. I'm only prompted for the key when I boot up.

Swarfendor437 wrote:Hi, if you did encrypt during install and you don't have too much data I would be tempted to do a reinstall. I personally avoid encryption. Years ago at work I set up an encrypted Data partition, WindowsXP crashed and on reinstall data could not be retrieved. Interestingly with my experience of installing Open SuSE 9.3 Pro which warns of data loss if encryption used!

Hmm, alrighty, I'll give that a go if I can't find other solutions. I don't have a lot of data, but I do have to do some programming homework soon :P

Wolfman

Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:02:43 pm

Hi,

you say that the disk is encypted!, can you please explain how you encrypted it, that may be the cause of the problem as encryption normally means a password to unlock it!. :D

PurpleShyGuy

Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:28:45 am

you say that the disk is encypted!, can you please explain how you encrypted it, that may be the cause of the problem as encryption normally means a password to unlock it!. :D

I must be confused lol, my apologies.

When I was installing the OS, I came across the option to encrypt the disk and use LVM. I selected both and proceed to the next step. I was then given the option to encrypt my home folder, which I declined.

Well, since your both in agreement here, I'll go ahead and reinstall and let you know if that fixes the issue!

Wolfman

Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:15:11 am

Let us know how you get on!. :D

PurpleShyGuy

Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:02:29 am

Well well well, it seems to have fixed my issue. I also ran the installer in Legacy mode, so Idk which one fixed it. None the less, I greatly appreciate your feedback!

This topic can be closed now if you wish to close it :D